• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Halted: Boot Failure... Oh noes help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiNdWaRp

Boot Failure: System Halted WinXP won't load

alright after driving home yesterday... 5 hour drive across the state from college.. my computer (the one in my sig) is refusing to boot up.

It goes through to the Gateway... screen then crashes and I get "Boot Failure: System Halted".

not good. And in addition to that I can now access the bios ... which it NEVER let me do before. Any ideas? I gotta fix this. I have work to do

Last edited:
sounds like from your description it DOES POST, so thats good, what it sounds like is something is conflicting in the boot up process, have you tried safe mode? also, does your motherboard have built in video>?

ok I've got it started now... I went into the BIOS and reset the defaults as well as unplugging my slave HDD. Now everything seems to be going fine

hhhmmmm.... interesting... did you overclock it at all? and also i installed windows on a computer one time and it decided to put the boot files on the 2nd disk, i wonder if the boot files had some out got mixed up? but ohwell, if i were you i would check event viewer to see if there is anything listed to help rectify this issue so it wont come back

I cound't remember what the message I had on my machine, but it gives me that error as well 50% of the time when starting my computer.

I too had a slave drive, but it didn't do it until I removed the drive.
I was going to reinstall windows all over again, but reseting the bios worked?

MiNdWaRp said:
It wasn't overclocked. As I said, I could never access the bios before now.

That sounds like a good thing though, to a degree. Gateway locked the bios so you couldn't do anything to your computer, yet when your computer starts to break the bios automatically unlocks in case you REALLY need access to it to fix something...

just a hunch...

lol.....they lock you out....but when the computer knows you need to go there to fix a problem....it lets you in.....lol

but hey, its working now, so all is well.

MiNdWaRp said:
alright after driving home yesterday... 5 hour drive across the state from college.. my computer (the one in my sig) is refusing to boot up.

It goes through to the Gateway... screen then crashes and I get "Boot Failure: System Halted".

not good. And in addition to that I can now access the bios ... which it NEVER let me do before. Any ideas? I gotta fix this. I have work to do

That message is from the BIOS.

It means that the boot sector data was wiped out or is corrupted.

The MBR probably is corrupted.

How would I fix it? it won't boot up unless I reset the BIOS and then it takes forever to load.

Back