• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

He wants me to ship to africa, He'll pay for shipping! what a nice guy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athlonight

Disabled
Hello seller,
i just saw ur item .and i will like to make a quick purchase ASAP.But i dont know if u will accept Western Union Money Order through Bidpay as ameans of payment.If u will,kindly mail me back with the full name and address of where u want the money order to be sent so i can quickly go and make payment immediately.I will also like you to give me weight of the item. I will like to be responsible for the shipping .I have an account with FedEx and will like the itemto be shipped through with my FedEx account for safety and conviniences.Cos this item is to be shiped outside the US.So i will make all shipping arrangements after payment has been made and u have recieved the payment approval confirmation.So if u accept all this terms,get back to me ASAP so i can act fast.cos this item is to be used as a gift.And i will like you to give me the total cost of the item and dont include the shipping cost cos i will responsible for the shipping.thanks

---

Discuss your experiences with shady nigerian businessmen.

Something like that happened to my mom, who is not computer-savvy but has lots of common sense.

She just laughed.

REPORT IT.

Here's my big issue with this scam. This ONLY works with Western Union. Why doesn't Western Union do something about this or add some technology that can't allow this?

I mean, this is a HUGE scam, there's obviously a huge flaw.

The only thing I know about shady nigerian businessman is to NOT do business with them. I wouldn't trust them for even a single penny.

O yeah, and report it too...

To Western Union and FedEx...

report it to who ? the nigerian government sponsers this kind of thing. I get 3-4 of them for anything i try to sell on craigslist, ebay has cracked down on them though which is a good thing.

I always forward any of those emails I get to the RCMP Internet Fraud Division. I would imagine that your FBI has a similar division, and I would suggest that you do the same.

It pro'lly won't go anywhere, but at least you'll be doing SOMETHING.

sometimes i string them along right before the thing gets shipped. I was thinking maybe ship some dirt, or bricks and kill him on s and h, but then they pay with stolen creditcards for the shipping, so they actually wind up billing the sender right ?

he had to pay over $100 to ge tthis thing going, -- the only real winner in this story is the UK government

I just received confirmation of payment. How convenient!

----

Dear Mike Hawk ,
Western Union ® Auction Payments hereby congratulate you and at the same time informing you once again that the ® Money OrderSM sent to you from Grace Smith has been Approved.® Money OrderSM : $100.00

Your money order has been sent immediately and you shall recieve it by the close of the next
business day after you receive this email. First Class mail is typically delivered within 3-5 business days.

Due to the fact that most sellers don't send out item despite the fact that buyer have paid for the item, so we have made a policy that seller must ship out items within 48 hours of payment and send us the tracking number for verification.

Below is the address where the money order will be sent to and if the address is incorrect please email us back,

Name : Mike Hawk
Address : 69 Jabroni Drive
City :Shyster City
State : NY
Zip Code : 11409

Also below is the sample of the money order that will be deliver to you after we have receive the shipment tracking number from you.

If we do not hear from you as soon as expected the payment will be return back to the buyer and we will be waiting for you to ship the item and mail us the shipment tracking number so that we can send out your payment.

Thank you for using BidPay. We look forward to serving you online payment needs in the future.

Sincerely,
Western Union Auction Payments.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE

[email protected]

I don't sell much. whats the scam? do they send you the money to Western Union then you ship it and they pull the funds back? A friend of mine is about to open an e-bay store and I'm sure she would fall for the first letter.

The MO is a fake, and the "lucky" recipient is responsible for the fees once their bank finds out about it. So they are out both money and the item.

It's changed as of late; not always via WU, and not always a money order.

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html has some gems from her and others stringing the scammers along. Amusing and informative as most of the scam sagas have scans of the fake MOs/checks.

this one is a little different. The one that I followed untill paying is there is no fake money order. The scammer tells you you will get your money once you ship the item, and the tracking number is confirmed. He makes you feel like you willget the money because he sends you an OBVIOUSLY fake letter from bidpay saying his payment was confirmed and it's ok to ship the item.

Here is another funny one
----

"""Hello seller,
How is business? I hope all is going on smoothly. I am Rod Micheal from USA and i have interest in this item and i will like to purchase for just olny One of it, I will like the immediate payment of your item because i will like to present the item to my family in West Africa,so i will be paying through money order via Western Union Bidpay and once the payment has been approved i will schedule a pickup myself through my own fedex account which means i will not include the shipping money, so pls get back to me with your full name and mailling address where the money is to be send to and let me know the total cost for the item, let me know if i can proceed with the payment as soon as possible.Thanks""""
Kind regards,
Rod"""""

let get down to business.
i will make the payment now afterwards schedule the pick up, all i need from u now is ur fullname and address.

Standard Recovery <[email protected]> wrote:
I do want to deal.

Whats your favorite color friend?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:47 PM
To: Standard Recovery
Subject: RE: $70 Toshiba laptop, With CD I WILL PAY $90

don't ask me such questions.

u want to deal?

Standard Recovery <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Buyer, How was your Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: $70 Toshiba laptop, With CD I WILL PAY $90

hello seller,
i will like to purchase your item which was advertise at but i will like to let you know my mode of payment which is western union money order which is the fastest and safest means of payment. I will alsolike to do the shippmentmyself cos i have a fedex account and that will be done immediately after the paymenthas been approved.
so let me know if u accept my mode of payment and also send along with your reply your fullname and address so that i can commerce with the payment and pick up.
thanks,

COLLIN.

Discover Yahoo!
Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing & more. Check it out!

I'm new to selling things and I still don't see exactelly what the scam is... anyone care to explain?

I mean I see fake MO... but coulden't anyone do that? Why would it only apply to foregin people?

What it is:

The guy sends a fake money order that is MORE Than what your asking, and asks you to return the difference, as well a send the item after it clears(Which it does.. but then it is discovered its a fake after it clears...)

You then send him his money back, as well as his item he ordered before you discovere its fake.

SO, he gets the cash, and your item you sold.

Why it applies to foreigners is because the FBI doesn't go outside the U.S. as well as the Police can't reach them there. Which means the only Agency or bereue that can catch them is the CIA, which isn't going to divert funds, and manpower, to track down someone whose ripping off people.

THEN it has to go through the proper channels in that country as well...

It's just a big pain :p.

Back