• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP laptop will not boot from CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LSC_YA

Registered
:confused: Son's HP laptop's os (XP) will get to desk top but never load icons, just sit there. I was going to format and reinstall XP but it would not boot from cd. The cd drive was making a clicking noise, so I replaced it assuming it was bad, but still will not boot from cd. It will get to the point of press any key to boot from cd and just stay there. Tried a lynix cd and still no boot and my XP pro with same results.Would resetting cmos by chance get it going? If so what is involved with a laptop in resetting? Any help would be appreciated, he uses it at school. thanks :shrug:

yes I did,I have changed from A to d and so on, depending on what I was trying to boot. I used various floopy boot disk, Windows xp pro and 2 diffrent lynix distros.

Did you change the boot order so that Floppy and CD-ROM are before HDD-0?
One other method I can think of outside of everything that was tried is to boot to prompt from the F8 menu as windows first starts to load, then access the CD drive that way.

Then the last resort is to take the hard drive out of the laptop, use a 44-pin to 40-pin IDE adapter and format it using a desktop machine. Then drag-drop the files off of the CD that you need to run setup.

I had a similar problem on my laptop and the only way that it would boot from CD (through PCMCIA slot) was by setting the boot order in the BIOS and saving it right before I wanted to boot from it, regardless that it had been the same order before that.

Back