• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clear hd and reinstall windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tootintorrey

Registered
i think its about time to wipe out my harddrive and start over. my concerns/questions are when i ersase it all the data is obviously erased. well when i do that my games and programs will be deleted to. i was wondering when i go to reinstall them will the original cd key work? it would suck having to go out and buy new games just for the cd key or losing office and having to buy that. the cd key brings up another question when i go to register with microsoft and install xp its going to ask for my key again which means it will be logged already and thus not letting me reinstall windows? also the easiest way to erase the hd is to just reformat the drive?

Your games just need reinstalled. The CD Keys for them are always legit, as long as they are on only 1 system at a time.

As for Microsoft and the XP Registration, it depends on how long its been since you last installed it. If its been a long time, then you may not have to worry about it. If it does give you problems, a quick 5-10 minute phone call to MS will get your problem solved for you.

ok thx, and also if i just copy the game files from my installed games and put them in the files will this enable me to resume playing the games from the last save point? lol another dissapointment i dont want to face is having to replay all my games ;)

you are going to have to check each game independently to find out where it saves the saved games and other config files you want to backup.

alright thx so it does work.... fnding the files shouldnt be hard if i just copy the entire folder lol

Back