• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Archiving/Backup software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

I'm getting ready to build a couple comps for friends/families, and I want to make a fully automated/idiot proof backup process running on these comps. A couple of friends have lost large portions of their digital photos, and I don't want that to happen on any system I build.

A redundant RAID setup is one option I'm exploring, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I want. For sure I'll have Ghost installed on these machines and make an initial drive image for quick restores. I'm wanting to automate a program to do weekly backups, something that will keep the filesize to a minimum, and something that can be easily burned to dvds if/when the user wants even more security in the backups.

My basic setup will include redundant hard drives and a DVD burner in each PC. I'd like to stay away from the RAID setup, and probably end up with a 120 GB 'working hard drive' and a 250 GB 'backup' HD. Ideally the weekly backups would be a nice small filesize, so there would be many 'undo' states in the event of an emergency. (Something like a WinXP System Restore, but easier to drop onto DVD). Also, if/when the 'backup HD' becomes full, automatic cleaning of the early archives could happen.

does anyone know of a good piece of software like this yet, or should I just stick with Ghost?

you could use the NTbackup utility if you have XP or 2000 professional. Just do a find on your hard drive for ntbackup and it should come up. You can do a scheduled task and have it backup weekly.

Back