• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird mouse slowdown issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I have a weird problem that I just can't fix and it's become very annoying. Basically what happens is in certain applications, mostly 'big' programs like Adobe Premiere or Discreet Combustion, the mouse slows down as if I had it set on the slowest speed. On a big 21" monitor I have to move the mouse a ton to move the pointer around and it's busting by wrist. If I click into another program like FireFox or Explorer the mouse works fine, even if the big programs are still running! The slowdown only happens when the 'big' program is the active program. Any ideas?

XP-2100 @ 2100MHz
1GB BH-5 dual channel 215 FSB 7-3-3-2.5
Abit NFS-7 2.0
Logitech MX Duo with latest Mouseware (prob something to do with this)

Thanks,

--Illah

Is mouse acceleration enabled? Is it a USB mouse?

If you have the option of switching back to PS/2 or uninstalling the newer drivers I recommend either.

It's not just Combustion though, but Adobe Encore and Adobe Premier (not photoshop or after effects though). Really odd, and it only happens with these 'big' programs.

--Illah

As strange as this sounds I had a like issue and I nailed it down to the drive being on PIO mode. May not be your problem but I thought I would throw it out here.

I have the same with SiSoftSandra: as soon as it is the active program my mouse would slow down a bit. At first I disabled the option "turn off mouse acceleration in games" (<- translation ... should be close to that) in the properties of my Logitech mouse, but I prefer just to disable mouse acceleration and up the speed of my mouse.
Should work either way.

Is DMA on your hard drive on, if its off then when computer is reading something from a HDD it loads CPU heavily and causes mouse stalls. Had this issue before on some old celerons with Via chipsets.
I think that turd is right about that.

yea, i had those problems when my hard disk was running in pio mode. enabling dma fixed the problem.

binny.

Back