• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you get??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok i have some extra money to spend on my computer. I was looking to get either a video card or ram for my system.

ATM i have the setup in my rig (minus the h20 in a few days), and will be using an XP90 HSF.

I am thinking of either OCZ TCCD (can pick up off a member here), or a PCI-E x800pro. I'd love to get rid of my UTT memory since i am tired of activly cooling it, and i don't like the idea of running 3.3v + day to day.

Well I would personaly get the X800 pro. Correct me if i'm wrong but a standard 6600 is roughly equivilant to a 9800. You would see a huge increase in gaming performance, although since you already have a nvidea card I would suggest getting a 6800 GT or ultra. If the only reason you have to replace the RAM is the fact that you don't like running it so hot, than I don't think it would be wise to replace them just because of that. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. (The memory still works right?)

Feydd said:
Well I would personaly get the X800 pro. Correct me if i'm wrong but a standard 6600 is roughly equivilant to a 9800. You would see a huge increase in gaming performance, although since you already have a nvidea card I would suggest getting a 6800 GT or ultra. If the only reason you have to replace the RAM is the fact that you don't like running it so hot, than I don't think it would be wise to replace them just because of that. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. (The memory still works right?)

Gotta agree. Go nVidia again and keep the SLI option open since you already have the m/b.

Reason i picked the x800pro is because they are $200 for a refurb @ newegg. Plus i get bored so fast, so i was in the mood to switch from nvidia > ati lol.

stang8118 said:
Reason i picked the x800pro is because they are $200 for a refurb @ newegg. Plus i get bored so fast, so i was in the mood to switch from nvidia > ati lol.

Whatever floats your boat but I would bet on 6600s in SLI beating x800pro for even less than $200.00 since you already have one card.

i've heard rumblings of performance still lacking for SLI setups (sorry I can't link anything more concrete than that), but in my opinion, at least software wise, things will only get better. so choosing the SLI route could be a better future oriented setup, even if it doesn't beatout on an x800pro right now (and I'm not saying it won't)

good luck!

Back