• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Old PC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.I.P.A.K

Hi
I have a few questions about this PC

HP Vectra VLi8 Desktop
Slot 1 Pentium 3 500mgh
KZM-6120 Mobo
2x64mb PC100
6Gig HD
PCI Ethernet

The PC was gonna get skipped at work so I thought I would have it. Not sure what for, spare fans, floppy, screws etc if nothing else.
Got it home, installed XP and my Broadie and Im really quite impressed. Im thinking of maybe spending a few pence on it just to tweak it a little bit. Then use it as a spare machine or an Internet machine networked with my main PC, probably a spare just so if my main PC goes t*ts up I will still have Interenet access to sort it out
So, my questions are
1) What form factor is it?, the Pci slots are at right angles and then right angles again to the mobo, ie Parallel.
2) Its got a 6.4 ATA 33 HD 5400rpm .Is there any benefits of putting a spare 40GIG 5400rpm ATA100 in it instead or will that just slow things up?
3) What if I put a cheap PCI graphics card in it? Rather than just using Onboard GPU. Thinking £25 at the most.
4) Memory. In the Tech Ref Manual it states that only Only HP memory modules are supported. Is that for real?
5) If I did buy the graphics card then I would buy a cheapo PCI Soundcard, worth it?

Heres the Manual if any more info needed
http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/...82/lpv06682.pdf

All wise words appreciated
Cheers

Well, I couldn't open the manual...But I know this: the ATX form factor was invented by Intel in 1995...ATX motherboards have a maximum size of 12"x9.6", and Mini ATX boards have maximum dimensions of 11.2"x8.2"...Maybe that'll help you...Break out the trusty ruler :)..Why would you stick a PCI graphics card in? If its just going to be a spare, that is. I'm new, so more senior members will be along shortly to help you (especially if my advice is crud :) )...I'm sure there is an easier way to figure out form factor..I just can't remember. Good luck.
-Barret

With only 128 meg of RAM, not sure I'd use WinXP.

HP uses proprietory mobos that are strange beasts, although I think you can use regular PC100 RAM. Installing a faster ATA100 HDD will only run at ATA33 if that's the controller's max speed. Some of those old computers have a max HDD capacity too, although there is usually ways around that issue.

Windows 2000 might be a better option, it uses less ram and runs smoother on slower PC's.

I've had several older HP and Compaq motherboards too, and they tend to be picky on memory. Some will work, some won't, some 128mb modules might get detected as 64 etc, its pretty much a gamble unless you can pick up some HP sticks off ebay.

You can look at the power switch on the front and where it's wire leads. If it goes to the motherboard, it's and ATX. If it's a large switch inside with an equally large wire leading to the power supply, then it's an AT.
You can also feel how the switch works, an AT switch is push on, push off, and much like a ball point pen, the switch stays in 1/4" with the "on push".

You can try one of your modems/sound cards/nic's to see if it's truly a PCI or if it's an older ISA slot (the card won't fit, the slot's too long).
The slots are on a riser card, HP and Packard Hell both used them to fit the case easier.
If one of your cards fit, then it's a PCI and you can use an add on card to give it better video, but I wouldn't hold onto the dream that it'll lay down some smack in Doom3. ;)

Not sure about the ram. They used to do alot of proprietary things with company built rigs, so it sounds feasable. If you got some cash to spare, you could try a stick of old SDRam in there to see if it's got the same slot and if it runs. It's cheap enough these days. P3's might have had RIMM too, shorter yet taller ram cards.
At 500 Mhtz, it's probably not got the SIMM/SIPP ram that's only 3-4" x 1".

Luck to ya...and if you could fix that manual link, this would be much easier. :D

Cheers Guys
Manual should be
http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06682/lpv06682.pdf

The PCI cards on a kinda Riser that seems to plug in to the whole lenght of the mobo so the PCI cards are paralell to the mobo

Its got 3 pci and pci and 2 x Isa

Board measures 10 x 8, then at right angles 10 x 4 1/2. The 4 1/2 has the slots so the cards are above and parallel to the Mobo

It was plenty fast enough on the net but even as a spare It would be nice for it to D/L pages a bit faster,ie Graphics card, banners slowed it a bit, all the same from the specs you would expect it to be Poo but I was quite impressed. Graphics card would take a little bit of pressure of the CPU.
As would the sound card.
Thanks for feedback guys
Cheers

Last edited:
You can stick a celeron or P3 coppermine up to 1.1GHz in there. Celeron being more compatible since they only sell them at 100MHz fsb. You need a slocket, (slot to socket 370 adapter) though, but they are dirt cheap, and possible you can find everything together on ebay or computer show. I do believe there is a slot to tualatin adapter somewhere out there, tualatin core celerons are as fast a early p4s. Vectra's are excellent machines, if you do nothing more, just buy some ram for it. I would just wait for a computer show and try and get whatever you can find cheaply. Maybe a radeon pci, sdram, and possibly a cheap celeron.

The ram shouldn't matter, my brother owns a few vectras and uses regular sdram. There is an exception, if it uses 5v sdram dimms, then you need to buy that, but its keyed differently so regular 3.3V ram will not fit. So rule of thumb, if the ram doesn't slide in easily, dont force it. I doubt it uses the old 5v dimms though, i think those where only in older pentium pro machines.

As for soundcards, I only use onbound or old sb16's. I'm cheap though, and my $20 altec lansing speakers can't tell the difference.

heh i know this is off topic but i didnt know that was old old....i thought my 80-88 was old old...

You're making me feel old as I type this on my (dual) slot 1 PIII-800 workstation.

Find some cheap SDRAM to drop in and away you go :)

Any idea what chipset? i440BX?

Use it for Linux and just web browsing. ie: SUSE or Gentoo(if it can run it). Try Ubuntu as they have free cds with free shipping.

-1cem4n

I.M.I.P.A.K said:
The PCI cards on a kinda Riser that seems to plug in to the whole lenght of the mobo so the PCI cards are paralell to the mobo
That would make it an NLX motherboard. The machine would make a good FTP file server, MP3 stereo, or get a graphics card with TV-out and make it a Home Theater PC. Pentium IIIs are great for low-power consumption, quiet machines and are plenty capable for any task you can think of.

Last edited:
Try running CPU-Z and look at the motherboard tab. It might list what chipset it is using... but, I doubt it's a BX.

Hi All
Many thanks for the comments on this everyone, really appreciated.
Special thanks Cyberey66, thats nice info, might have a lookie round the Pc fair when its next in town.
Im pretty sure that it is "normal" SD ram.
Only thinking of a cheapo Soundcard just so its a little less burden on the CPU, although its last on my list.
Special thanks Capt.Slug, at least I know what form factor it is now.
I will post again on what I do if anyones interested.
Cheers

Many thanks all

Cheers

Really if you are thinking of upgrading, put some more RAM, then a video card and then a faster CPU. i have a p3 700@933 in my office setup, and it runs great.

but for winXP RAM should be on top of your list. the p3 i have has 384 and really needs it.

Those proprietary hp mobos from that era are super picky about ram upgrades.

I once tried installing 3 different modules to upgrade a customers computer and none would post. Just keep that in mind.

I run a computer that I retired from the kid's room, a 533Mhtz cely with 128 Meg of SDRam. In a former life it was a Barbie PC that I got on clearance from Directron.
It's a nice fax machine/ print server, and runs all the programs I need to act as a backup to my main rig (work machine).
Plus, it uses so little power that I don't even think twice about it staying on all day.

Back