• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Its New I Love It !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did this because I already had a video card in my old computer (its a Dell) and it didn't have an agp slot but now I have a pci x16 slot which is like 10x faster than agp so I'm slightly happy.

Also, the computer was built on a budget you see, although its nice I didn't get a burner and a new video (I'll get this myself or for Christmas).

thanks

I know thats why I would buy it for myself, and also isn't it like saying its my birthday lol and ya thats why I would buy it.

hey i resent the remarks about the 9100. it played me through HL2 and doom3. Slowly. And with most eye candy off. Anyways, i play those games for the story! yeah!

:(

Kevin007 said:
I did this because I already had a video card in my old computer (its a Dell) and it didn't have an agp slot but now I have a pci x16 slot which is like 10x faster than agp so I'm slightly happy.

Also, the computer was built on a budget you see, although its nice I didn't get a burner and a new video (I'll get this myself or for Christmas).

thanks

Nothing is 10x faster than agp slot..PCI X is really about the same speed...marginally faster at best..in real world..

Nope, it has 2x or so the bandwidth, unless you use SLI, which it then has the same amount of bandwidth.

In actuality, you're never going to use that bandwidth, as its something along 10 Gb/s while most RAM, even Dual Channel OCed RAM, never gets above 8Gb/s

So, it's really the same speed.. for now :).

PCI-E 16x Should be 2x AGP... IIRC. I may be wrong, people feel free to correct me ;).

BUT just because the bus has a faster transfer speed, it does NOT mean that the video cards are actually faster in it.

It's like this.

You have two tubes. One is 1" wide, the other is 2" wide. At the end of the tube is a nozzle that reduces both tubes to 1/2" wide.

Water will drain from both nozzles at the same speed. Why? Because they both have the same amount of water going through at the same time.

With PCI-E, or AGP even, your Memory Bandwidth on your system is generally only 4-8(possibly higher, with an INSANE overclock) Gigabits/Second.

From what I remember, AGP is 8.6Gigabits/Second, and PCI-E x16 is 17Gigabits per second.

This speed is also the speed at which your CPU Transfers data along the bus.

SO, lets pretend....

Your Video card is a container.

Above is a bowl, with a hole in the bottom of it 1/2" in diamater, but it expands its diamater to 2" before it reaches the bowl. EVEN though it has 2" diamater at the bottom, your CPU can only push so much through the Chipset via your FrontSideBus, or HyperTransport.

You time how long it takes for the water to drain from the bowl with the 2" tube. You then replace the tube, and use a 1". It takes the same time because of the limiting factor of the 1/2" outlet at the bottom of the bowl.

See, the computer is a complex, amazing system. It's not just "I have the bestest video card EVA! With 20Gb/s Bandwidth on my PCI-E!" You have to balance, other wise your system is "limited"

Your system right now is Video Card limited :) Thats pretty apparent, but if you don't OC, and you get a 6800, you will be CPU limited! Weird huh?

Then, when you OC your processor and your 6800, you discover your memory bandwidth is limiting you :).

Thats the joy of Overclocking. Finding the bottlenecks, and widening them.

Back