• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN @ rogerdugans house.....yet again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Fishy got me thinking about the dates for the August LAN here at the house in Andover, Massachusetts:

20 and 21 August

Schedule of Events:

**Official start time is High Noon, as always, but earlier arrival is ok as well. Any time after 10 am. (Allows more time for setup and so on.)

**A cookout is planned for late Saturday afternoon: 6ish.
Hamburgers and hot dogs. (A few bucks towards this would be nice of course. I may do some teriyaki steak tips if finances have recovered sufficiently from my time out of work.)
Those wishing to bring food for the cookout are welcome to, as my cooking skills are limited to the grill. ;)
---NOTE: I don't eat breakfast so I generally have no breakfast food.

Bring whatever munchies and beverages you wish. There are stores within 1 mile of the house as well.

**Sleeping accomodations are as always for Saturday night: grab some floor space, bring a sleeping bag, etc.

Long distance travelers: arrangements are possible if you wish to arrive earlier than Saturday morning. Space may be limited, so get your request in early. ;)

Last edited:
GAMES:

Many of the LANs have found us messing with game installation for a large amount of time DURING the LAN.
We have also had many instances of many games being LISTED as possible but never played, which has been a big letdown for those who came chiefly for that specific game.

In the interest of minimizing these problems and maximizing the game play, I am going to severely limit the Game List for this event.

UT2004
CS:S
HL2: DM

A test WILL be made at some point of Doom3 Multiplayer- over 4 players.
IF it works and enough people have Doom3 and want to play, we MAY do more than the test. We may not.

My hope is that this will work to keep things fairly simple and low-cost for everyone, as well as simplifying the weekend.

Last edited:
Attendees:
Post up in this thread if you plan on attending.
If you plan to come and are then unable to, PLEASE let me know.
Space is limited by the size of my house (not that big) so there are 3 categories:
definite
maybe
Unable to attend
(Self-explanatory, I think.)

**DEFINITE:
rogerdugans
SewerBeing
{pms}fishy
Blackstar
snvpa
Pinky
Nebulous
Krieger
crimedog
ProDriveTom
donny_paycheck
Slayer2003
Keiron
diehrd
PhoenixMDM

**Maybe:
SolidxSnake
R3Dcoat
Cullam3n

**"I said I'm going to come for the 3rd time in a row and I'm probally not going to show, but Ill pretend I did":
{PMS}drippy

**Unable to attend:
Stompah
cw823
g0dM@n
jack222

Last edited:
One more note:

Those under the age of 18 who wish to attend:
You are invited and welcome to come, but please contact me by PM in advance.

Many of those who attend are of legal drinking age and alcoholic beverages are allowed. Underage drinking is not.
This is NOT a drinking party, and the focus is definitely on gaming and other computer-geekish activities.
Many regulars choose not drink alcohol.

man_utd said:
So where do you live, that would be a good start for me

DOH!!!! :bang head

I'm so used to the regulars that I forgot that mentioning the region was a good idea.....

Andover, Massachusetts (North of Boston) and the first post is edited to reflect that.

We have regulars from New York and Connecticut and have had a member from Virginia fly up for one event.

I'm in I am gonna mark it out on my calender right now. The only thing stopping me might be the main vacation but I wont let that happen. Also I need a rig (just making it official :)).

Update: I only need a monitor now I can bring my rig :)

Last edited:
Just curious here. I am under 18, would i be one of the few people under 18? Do the majority of people who go over 18? I'd like to not be the younging or anything. Also, no CS:S? I thought that was popular...

jack222 said:
Just curious here. I am under 18, would i be one of the few people under 18? Do the majority of people who go over 18? I'd like to not be the younging or anything. Also, no CS:S? I thought that was popular...

Yes, the majority of people are over 18, but we have had a few under attend; about 16 or so I think.

As for CS:
Personally, I don't like having to go to the supermarket IN a game. ;)
Yeah, I am not a fan, lol. Many are though and IF....there is enough of a demand by those who attend CS could make it on the list.

UT2K* is a perennial favorite at the LANs because it is a decent game and both simple enough for anyone to pick it up fairly quickly yet the gameplay is rewarding to those who are more advanced/fans.
Anyone can have some fun playing it.

All are truly welcome:
we do have a group of "regulars" that don't miss too many of these little LANs, but everyone has to show up for the first time once. ;)

There can be only one...

I love Fishy's post about new games... I think we tried that with HALO. ;) If you recall the resistance on THAT one...

(enter all the "but we want a GOOD game/Halo sucks blah blah blah posts here)

I think the 50% love/hate feeling people have for CS just makes it too frustrating for people. Not to mention the technical requirements some of the systems need, the software installs, patches etc.

Everyone has UT2004 default maps, and those who don't, have a pretty easy install under Windows and Linux, and even my Mac. (if I had a faster vid card for it hehehe) so it's a good universal game for everyone.

You know to count me in Dugans, as always my techno-toy pile is at your disposal. If Kev comes, make him bring some of that uber expensive coffee too... assuming he has not drunk it all yet. ;)

-Blackstar

Doubt I can make the LAN but Hey Doug I am leaving for the airport now. I will check PMs when I get to Somerville, will call Peter sometime later in the afternoon. Maybe we can get together Thur. night. And yes Brian you can come to ;)

Have fun at this LAN guys.

Guys, a local bookstore has new copies of UT2004 for $15 (I think) for those of you who have boycotted this game for so long I can pick up the game(s) for you and have it shipped. Maybe some outsides can get in on some of the action.

{PMS}fishy said:
Im in.

CS:S or HL2 DM please.
Thats the way to do it: if people can agree on the other 2 games then they will be added.

You guys need to learn some new games.
No, we need some new games that DON'T suck to be available. ;)

STOMPAH!!!!
What is up, amigo?

A get-together while you're here is a definite, bro, just gotta figure out when and where.

Last edited:
U know I'm there. maybe this time with a rig that doesn;t blow up. Nah that would make too much sense. I'm on my way to E3 so I'll catch up with ya this coming weekend. :beer:

Aighty Doug, you know if Pinky is in, i'm definate of course. No need to ask me twice :D

Hey brian, you wanna play Halo @ the lan because you practically have it running through your veins. It's no fun when you've mastered it, and some of us really suck at it, makin it a perfect Brian-slaughter-fest :p .

Stompah !! Man it wou;d be great if you can make it ! :)

Put me as a Definate. Unfortantly my 9500pro died suddenly(Heat stroke I think) and all I could get locally was a 5500fx, so I dont even know if I can run anything other than UT lol...

Back