• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shading windows in XP (like in linux) ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

I decided I wanted to change my install tonight because... I dunno. So I just put Windows back on after not using it for a looong time. Anyways, you know KDE (and just about every other linux GUI) and how you can shade windows up by simply moving over them? Well I want to do that!!! Anyone know any application that can? Preferably free but I'd like to know about any way possible. I think I might die.

There are various Windowblinds skins that are set up by default to allow you to put a window into shade (for example, the Gnome skin I'm using right now), as well as an option somewhere in Windowblinds to force any skin to allow shading (IIRC anyway).

A quick google also brings up results that look promising as well if you want something more specialized.

Don't you go dying on me Crash... :)

EDIT: I'm not sure what you mean by "shade windows up simply by moving over them"... I rarely use the shade feature, but with Windowblinds, you have to right-click on a titlebar for them to shade. I don't know if there's a way to automatically shade by hovering your mouse (since it'd be difficult to drag them around the screen then ;))

JigPu

Last edited:
Eh.... I suppose I should have shearched better first.. It was sorta late and I didn't really have all my drivers installed yet... lol. Low priority I guess. :p

Do you find windows blinds to be a bit of resource hog? I used it once a while back and it almost hurt...

In KDE I've had it so that I just have a few rows of shaded windows and all I have to do to shade them is move the mouse off of the window, and to open them up move it over the little shaded part. It was real nice and easy...

That shading scheme sounds really cool :D Don't think I've heard of something that will automatically do it though (but then again, I've only used Windowblinds, so there may indeed be something out there!)

The latest version of Windowblinds isn't too hard on the memory. The tray applet (...which you might be able to disable, but I haven't found out how yet...) is eating up 612K of RAM and 1.6MB of page right now. As for skins, my Gnome skin is using 10MB from what I can tell (I can't find which process is getting it, but overall memory usage increases by this much over the XP skin -- which is 10MB more than the "classic" lack-of-skin). Not terrible at all if you'd normally be using some kind of skin, but might be a bit heavier than a specialized app if you'd be running unskinned classic.

JigPu

Back