• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who runs a webserver in their home?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

yea so i realized bandwidth is going to be OUTRAGEOUS for my appliance website. So far i went over the limit in 10 minutes and took out my friends 500mb transfer limit (he had 483MB left) within 2 hours. 2 friggen videos!! 1 is 1.6mb, the other is 1.8mb.

keep in mind, my graphics are no longer a pain, i discovered photoshop and the save for web (stayed up til 4am learning web tutorials)

i wasnt surprised the geocities went down, but the freewebs went down FAST IMO.

So i started thinking, how hard would it be to setup a webserver in my bedroom?

I was thinking about using parts from my dually that i killed, however i need RELIABLE. So i was thinking maybe a used server from ebay/some auction

Of corse the OS will be linux, probably red hat.

Now for DSL, im assuming either A. get a second DSL/Cable line or upgrade my dsl to a higher bandwidth?

And finally, any way to make any kind of profit off of this? i was thinking host for friends for a small fee, nothing outrageous. how do those guys out there make all kindsa cash owning sites?

Im a newb to the internet, but i might as well learn it. funny how something so simple is so coveted. My gf reminded me "But people buy those 2 hour DVDs of people crashing into things" so i guess this isnt too much different.

I occasionally have a server running, not all of the time though. It would be on 24/7 if I would quit messing it up and trying to oc it more. :) It's a Pentium 200 w/ MMX, right now at 250, and it hit 77C a couple days when a cable got stuck in the fan. A server doesn't need to be fast, it helps to have a lot of RAM though (a decent cpu helps, but isn't as important as RAM).
Make sure that you are allowed to run a server with whatever connection you decide to go with. Cable usually doesn't allow servers since it is shared, but it is usually fine with DSL.
As for making money off of it, sometimes people will host sites for others for a fee, you can have ads on the site (such as Google's Ad Sense, IIRC).

I have 200mhz K6 with 256mb of ram that is my server for things. FTP, Bittorent, and Apache on Win98. Everything was too slow on linux for me. Runs fine with most of this stuff going. Memory is my biggest problem right now.

I run a webserver on my university connection. It's up 24/7, but I never advertise it, or even put content that would interest anyone. I just serve it for a group of friends, and use it for hosting pictures that I post in these forums. I'm sure if I posted something interesting, the administrators wouldn't notice or care about the bandwidth used, but something like a full-on slashdotting would make them shut me down.

As for hosting a webserver on home internet, if your server gets a lot of hits and takes a lot of bandwidth in a short amount of time, your ISP might get suspicious and start doing things. Usually, the agreement for a residential ISP involves agreeing to not run any "servers", though they intentionally leave that term vague.

My webserver receives an average of 10.0 page requests per hour. The video card modding gallery thread on these forums is the largest external referrer, according to my logs (image views). I'm sure I could sustain this transfer rate at home, on Comcast residential cable, and not get slapped by the ISP.

well i talked tp PCguy, he gets 25gb transfer, and i cant remember how much webspace a month for 5$, which is damn good IMO, i thought itd be much more.

Back