• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep Upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I have a socket 478 P4 with an x800pro and I want to know if I should keep upgrading this computer or get a better one later down the road. My Specs are as follows

Intel Pentium4 2.8 northwood OCed to 3.8 w/ zalman CNPS7000cu

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 875p

1gb OCZ Platinum Revision 2. PC3200

Asus X800Pro at 525/615 w/ zalman VF7000cu

2x Western Digital 80gb Hard Drives in RAID 0

OCZ Modstream 520

Lian-Li V1200b w/ 2x 120mm Panaflo Ultra High Speed Fans

Vantec Nexus Fan Controller.

Should I keep upgrading it or wait a while and get a 3500+ Venice and a DFI nForce 4 SLi Board?

-1cem4n

I just keep upgrading, thats the reason I have about 10-15 complete operational systems running. I always able to find something I want and will reuse the old parts somewhere. works out fine for me, I have been able to build all those systems for about the same price as some people buy one for.

My Standard

My requirment for a computer is for it to do what I want and need it to do.
Is there anything you want to do with your comuter that it cannot do?
If my computer can do what I want then I might upgrade it or overclock it for my enjoyment.But I will stick with it.However when it cannot do what I need done then it is time to decide how much it will cost me to make it do what I want.If the cost is to much(your value judgement) or it is not tecnologically possible then it is time to build another.
Example: if you want to play the newest FPS games at the highest resloutions with all the bells then it is time to start planning on building you a new unit.Maybe you want to play the FPS game while your buring a DVD and coping vid files.
It sounds like your computer is preforming very well with a solid overclock.If it is doing what you want save up until you can move into a top unit that you can again overclock and expand your preformance levels.However is there something your computer cannot just quite do or just needs a little help being able to do?
Unless you tell me there is a game or a function you need done(and can't do) my recommendation is to use and enjoy what you have saving up and planning on moving to the next preformance level down the road.

It's performing wonderfully but I want to know whether I should keep adding parts here and there or just stop and make a new computer in the future? I will keep this computer for a backup computer and server duties too.

-1cem4n

My Two Cents Worth

I would try to stop where I was and save up to go with a A64 or one of the dual cores for your next upgrade.However if I need more storage I wouldn't hesitate to get more hd and if something came along my computer wouldn't do I would consider a minor upgrade then.These dual cares may give computing a big boost and that might be a prime time to build new.

Back