• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd problems starting up/shutting down after move

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Labotomy Jack

Just moved into a new apartment over the weekend. I purposely moved all my computer equipment seperatley in my car with what I had hoped was sufficient care. Lo and behold however I immediately had problems with my main rig: I hooked everything up, hit power, fans and everything came on -- and then shut off about 2-3 seconds later. Tried this a couple more times with the same result.

I was rather annoyed but had some more moving and a lot of unpacking to do. So I end up coming back to my computer the next day and nervously hit the power. Oddly it started up fine.

I've since had it shut off again right after starting and tehn go back again to working fine. I've tested the rails with a multimeter and both the +5v and +12v are rock solid so I don't believe it's a PSU issue. There a couple other odd problems though which lead me to think it maybe a bios issue: the CPU fan no longer reports its speed (btw temps are fine) and frustratingly when I try to shut it down now it immediately reboots, whether I choose shutdown from with in windows or hold the power button down for 4 seconds. I end up having to actually flip the switch in the back of the PSU.

So basically at this point I can think of two things to try: flashing the bios and/or completely dismantling the system and rebuilding it. Neither of these options have me overjoyed though I'm certainly willing to do both. However I was wondering if anyone else might be able to offer some insight as to what the root of my problems may be.

Back