• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Services problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
I have winxp pro with SP2. I do not really know how this started, but here is the problem.

Whenever I go into services, every single one of them when I open the individual properties box, in the dependencies tab. An error message will pop up saying
Code:
"Win32: The dependency service or group failed to start."

It does this on EVERY single one.

Also, when I try to start the service for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS), it gives me this error.

Code:
"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

This happens on a few different ones, not just the firewall service.

The Net Logon service gives me this error when it tries to start.
Code:
"The Net Logon service on Local computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically
if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

RemoteAccess - Routing and Remote Access service gives me this error when I try to start it.
Code:
Windows could not start the Routing and Remote Access on Local Computer.  For more information,
review the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor,
and refer to service-specific error code 1717.

Task Scheduler gives me this error
Code:
Could not start the Task Scheduler service on Local Computer.
Error 1717: The interface is unknown.

And the last one is Windows Management Instrumentation. It gives me this error
Code:
"Could not start the Windows Management Instrumentation service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Any ideas? I think the biggest problem is the dependencies one, but I am completely clueless on the whole thing.

There might be a simpler way to do this, but I don't know much about which services are linked with which files, so I would recommend:

1. back up any and all important files, now, while the computer is still running ;)
2. run an AV scanner, i don't know of any good free ones though.
3. Run tds-3 www.diamondcs.com.au, it is 'free' for thirty days, but is a mighty good anti-trojan prog.
4. If you do not have a virus or trojan, then I would recommend re-installing sp2. You can download it from http://support.microsoft.com.

Also you can try running sfc.exe from the 'run' dialog box, or doing a repair 're-install' from the xp disc.

Have you reduced the amount of services you run by disabling any of them? If you modify the original setup it can cause conflicts and make some run funny.

Enablingwolf said:
Have you reduced the amount of services you run by disabling any of them? If you modify the original setup it can cause conflicts and make some run funny.
I only disable ones that I know have no use. I have done this since I started using windows xp, and it has never done this before.

redduc might have an idea. he seems to know just about everying when it comes to winxp

I think I'd probably suggest running the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool in this situation. You can run it from the command prompt...Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the prompt type sfc /scannow, and hit ENTER.
System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents.
The above quote is taken from the following MSKB article...

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747

redduc900 said:
I think I'd probably suggest running the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool in this situation. You can run it from the command prompt...Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the prompt type sfc /scannow, and hit ENTER.

The above quote is taken from the following MSKB article...

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747
Once again, you knew how to fix it. Thanks a lot man.

Back