• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wav to mp3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Does anyone know of a good easy wav to mp3 converter. Mainly lookin for something where I can just select the flile and then click convert. Thanks.

Use the Lame codec - it's going to sound a whole lot better than the iTunes codec. A ton of work by a lot of smart people has gone into Lame, and it's pretty dang good.

threeme2189 said:
CDex and DBPowerAmp. google for them, download and enjoy :).

I also use CDex. I have also tried/used Razorlame, but Razorlame doesn't use the CDDB (or I couldn't get it to work...). CDex offers the same configuration and VBR, but CDDB also works. I haven't needed another.

CDDB = CD DataBase, for song/album info.

Does CDex use the Lame codec or something else? There's got to be some Lame frontend that uses CDDB, I'd think.

johan851 said:
Use the Lame codec - it's going to sound a whole lot better than the iTunes codec. A ton of work by a lot of smart people has gone into Lame, and it's pretty dang good.

Itunes uses LAME :rolleyes: don't be a hater because it's Apple

Here's one of the first Google results, good sir.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74062

He's not quite correct though - iTunes doens't use the Fraunhofer codec, but one they wrote themselves. Certainly not Lame. From this article:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/encoding.ars
Some last notes: Windows Media Player now freely supports encoding to MP3 from CD. Unfortunately, it uses the inferior Fraunhofer codec. iTunes, however, does not use the Fraunhofer codec. Despite some recent confusion, it turns out Apple wrote their own MP3 encoder for use in iTunes. Unfortunately its quality is much worse then their AAC encoder or other free MP3 encoders. Regardless, WMP does not support VBR encoding, and iTunes doesn't use LAME...

The ultimate source...if you open up iTunes and go to "about," you'll read that
MPEG Layer-3 audio coding technology licensed from Fraunhofer IIS and THOMSON multimedia.

So it's a little fuzzy on what it actually is, but the bottom line is that whatever it is, it ISN'T Lame.

Back