• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really unconvincing Viruses...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I just recieved this on my Hotmail Account, thought it was quite funny, probably the most unconvincing virus I have seen. The guy could have atleast used a Spellcheck.

Email author said:
Dear mister,

Unfortinately we must inform You that in Microsoft program equipment,
Microsoft Internet Explorer v 6 our experts of security and developement
department have found a new critical vulnerabilty. It allows hackers to
exploit your system, upload virus or trojan through the Internet, in general
known as bad-source program, set up it and steal some information, which can
be valueble.

To prevent a such situation, we strongly recommend you to update you
Microsoft Internet Explorer v 6. Please download our patch. It may save
you from fraud and make you and us sure that hackers wouldn't exploit you
Microsoft Windows.

We are sorry for inconvenience a hope you understand that there is a real
chance of damaging your computer.

Your faithfully,
Diana Bernwood,

Microsoft corporation, security and development department, post office.
© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

It has the attached file KB817487-x86.zip

I am sure this is from Microsoft....

Whats the worst attempt of a virus infection you've encountered?

Sjaak said:
lmao....that sucks.

Some time ago i recieved multiple mails with a .pif file attached called 'jennifer lopez nude'

I got a load of those over Messenger, 'Me in the bath.pif' was my favourite followed closely by 'boob.pif'

whitebloodcell said:
I got a load of those over Messenger, 'Me in the bath.pif' was my favourite followed closely by 'boob.pif'

Thats still going round! Alot of my friends on MSN have it, it gets really annoying after a while :(

Luckly Hotmail's attachment scanner does a pretty good job of protecting you from those evil files :)

Plz download nd install the attachment, its spyware and virus free!!!

"Hotmail has dected a virus"

LOL :D

whitebloodcell said:

I never would have fallen for that. I've seen myself in the bath pleanty of times. Why would I want a picture of that on my computer?

Its not always a case of falling for it, I have Trillian to accept any file from someone on my contact list, so I got them all from a friend, thankfully my Antivirus picked it up, but some of my other friends were not so careful, so they became infected, and then started sending me the file aswell.

i don't think viruses have to be convincing anymore. no matter how stupid the writer is, there's someone even stupider that will open it. if you released virus.exe i'm sure it would be widespread in no time.

Because of the way the first sentence is written, I would have already been suspicious, even when the file name looks legitimate.

Maybe this scheme is a new way to spread a very deadly virus, have you thought of that?

They simply bore us to death!

The worst thing I've gotten is that jdbgmgr.exe hoax that seems to make it's way around the net every year or so. Amazingly it still fools people....

No fake MS emails, no PIF files. /me must be lucky or something :D
JigPu

fortunately, i know that even if microsoft had my email address, they wouldn't care enough about whether or not i'm patched to send me an email. besides, my inbox would be full if they did :D

Back