• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial to usb.. is it possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haros

I bought my dfi mobo and i don't have any serial prots for my pinnacle's pctv remote control :p Is there any other way to make it work exept of bying a serial pci card :bang head

:welcome:

Yes you can get Serial<->USB adaptor dongles. It might just be cheaper to pick up a serial port card 'tho. Some things don't like the dongles.

Also see if your motherboard has any serial port headers (COM1/COM2) - you just might need one of the little PCI slot adaptors.

I think the mobo comes with one serial port header... I'll try to spot it :)

edit: the manual says so... but it can't be correct... :shrug: if somenone has one of the dfi lanparty series mobos and knows if a serial port header exists, please reply here...

Last edited:
Page 56 in your manual. Lower left hand corner of your board. 2x5 header, with one pin removed. If you lived closer I'd send you an extra serial port PCI bracket. I'm surprised you didn't get one with your motherboard.

are you sure for that? these headers the manual says that are for "external diagnostic led". I don't think that any lanparty package had serial port pci brackets :S

If the manual doesn't indicate that it's a serial header, then that's not what it's for. Serial to usb adapters and serial PCI cards are pretty inexpensive.

yeah, i was trying to find it on pics of the motherboard and in the manual itself, but was unsuccesful. the weird thing is, it is listed in the IO features section. maybe an email to the company would be in order.

DFI LanParty SLI-D?

Page 56 on the manual on their website listed it as "COM1". The DFI website is down :rolleyes:, but I'll post the link when its up again.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/manual_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3469&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

serial9os.gif

(Click to make bigger)

That your board?

Yeah that's it.. I spotted it :D Thanks :) I think the manual supplied with the board is for the -dr models.. Some differences exist..

Back