• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Codec Pack To Use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

There are so many codec packs to use at http://www.free-codecs.com/ and I don't know which one I really need. Any ideas? I only need to play not any utilities. I had the Ace mega codec pack before, but it would mess up stuff due to the utilities. Which one do you guys recommend that will play most of the video formats out and will not mess up anything. Oh, the Ace would mess up dvdshrink by flipping and movie the video from the center of the screen on preview mode. Anyways, which codec pack do you guys recommend or use right now without problems.

dja2k

look at the huffyuv and doom9.org has reviews and forums that might help you pick the best for your player/apps.

Codec packs are horrible. I would reccomend ffdshow for most media formats and dscaler 5 for your dvd playback. I have not had one problem with these 2 programs. They are both free and use very little resources. Also, with ffdshow you can make customized filters and resolutions for your video. Feel free to let me know if you need help setting them up.

None of those codec packs will help me burn mpeg4 (avi xvid, whatever they are) files using Nero. It gives me this wierd error with a bunch of numbers and letters, and when you click okay, it closes nero automatically.

dja2k

I am having problems with mpeg4 (xvid, avi, etc). I am trying to convert files to mpeg4 for my sony psp and every program is giving me errors. Even nero is giving me errors. Don't have any idiea why. It does it with or without codecs. Is there any program or a list of files to delete in the windows\system32 folder to delete prior codec .dll files cause maybe after playing around a lot with this codec packs, I messed something up.

dja2k

Last edited:
Okay I followed the intructions from here and everything seems to play fine in referrence to xvid and divx http://www.click-now.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=122

The thing is I can't encode mp4 video anymore in Nero. I used to be able to do that. I have a sony digital camera that does mp4 video and I used to be able to easily encode it and burn it onto a dvd that could play on my dvd player. Anyone know why I can't anymore, it gives me an error.

dja2k

What is the error, and the error that you mentioned with Nero where it gave you a "wierd error with a bunch of numbers and letters" is there a way to copy that and enter it into this forum. Nero might have an error lookup on there website, and if it comes down to it just use google to search, usually that has some good answers.

Can't someone help me do a more-up-to-date way of updating or installing the most used codecs compared to the ones here http://www.click-now.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=122 because as I said , I followed those, yet they are a few months old. Maybe some newer method exists and better software\codecs than the ones used there. ""I still can't encode mpeg4!!!""

dja2k

Now nothing works fine. Too much playing around with codecs and other software made me install a fresh copy of windows xp. I have nothing installed right only Nero. I have the list of k-lite codec mega pack and wanted some help before I screw things up again. Here is the list, maybe you guys can help me pick what to install. Furhtermore some of the plugins in the pack make dvdshrink flip the picture, don't remember which one, but it was a green arrow in the buttom. Also some other plugin started up in nero and other video programs, it was a white box in the task bar. Anyways that is what happpened before. Nero added the .mp4 file, but when I previewes it, it was slow and crashed. Don't know what codec or what caused that thought. Anyways here is the lis, please copy and paste it to your reply and BOLD OR HIGHLIGHT the ones I should install. I pre-highligted what I think I have to install, but change what you think

dja2k

- BSplayer [version 1.22.817]
- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.8.4]
- DivX Pro [version 5.2.1] [Decoding]
- DivX Pro [version 5.2.1] [Encoding]
- XviD [Version 1.0.3 build 2004-12-20] [Decoding]
- XviD [Version 1.0.3 build 2004-12-20] [Encoding]
- 3ivX Pro [version D4 4.5.1] [Decoding]
- 3ivX Pro [version D4 4.5.1] [Encoding]
- Windows Media 9 VCM [version 9.0.1.369]
- On2 VP3 [version 3.2.5.0]
- On2 VP6 [version 6.4.2.0] [Decoding]
- On2 VP6 [version 6.4.2.0] [Encoding]

- Ligos Indeo XP [version 5.2820.15.58]
- Intel Indeo [version 4.51.16.2]
- Intel Indeo [version 3.24.15.03]
- Intel I.263 [version 2.55.1.16]

- huffyuv [version 2.1.1 CCE Patch 0.2.5]
- MS MPEG-4 [version 4.1.0.3927]
- DivX ; ) MPEG-4 Low and Fast motion [version 4.1.0.3927]
- Cyberlink DVD decoder [version 6.0.0.1417]
- Elecard MPEG-2 demuxer [version 2.0.84.30429]
- MainConcept MPEG-2 demuxer [version 1.0.0.54]
- Ligos MPEG-2 demuxer [version 4.0.0.77]
- Ligos MPEG-2 decoder [version 4.0.0.77]
- Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder [version 6.0.0.1402]

- MainConcept MPEG-2 decoder [version 1.0.0.56]
- QuickTime codecs [version 6.5.2.10]
- QuickTime DirectShow filter
- QuickTime plugin for Internet Explorer
- QuickTime plugin for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Opera
- Extra QuickTime plugins
- RealMedia codecs [version 6.0.12.1069]
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.0.1.0]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
- RealMedia plugin for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Opera

- Fraunhofer MP3 DirectShow decoder [version 1.9.0.311]
- AC3 DirectShow decoder [version 0.70b mod]
- AC3 ACM decoder [version 0.7]
- Vorbis DirectShow decoder (CoreVorbis) [version 1.0]
- AAC DirectShow decoder (CoreAAC) [version 1.0b9 build 2005-02-24]
- AAC DirectShow decoder (3ivX Pro) [version D4 4.5.1]
- AAC DirectShow encoder (3ivX Pro) [version D4 4.5.1]

- MusePack DirectShow decoder [version 1.0.0.3]
- Voxware MetaSound DirectShow decoder [version 1.0.0.12]
- Monkey's Audio DirectShow decoder [version 1.00]
- DivX ; ) Audio [version 4.2.0.0]
- LAME MP3 Encoder [version 3.96.1]

- MP4 DirectShow splitter (made by Haali) [build 2005-06-07]
- Ogg DirectShow splitter (made by Tobias) [version 0.9.9.5] and Vorbis DLLs [version 1.1.0]
- Ogg DirectShow splitter (made by Gabest) [version 1.0]
- Matroska DirectShow splitter (made by Haali) [build 2005-06-07]
- Matroska DirectShow splitter (made by Gabest) [version 1.0.2.5]
- Matroska DirectShow muxer [version 1.0.0.9]
- DirectVobSub (vsfilter) [version 2.33]
- Matrix Mixer [version 0.30b]
- SHOUTcast Source [version 1.0.0.1]
- Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher [version 0.9.9]
- DC-DSP Filter [version 1.02]
- ffdshow [build 2005-06-11]
- GSpot Codec Information Appliance [version 2.52 beta 1 build 20040915]
- Sherlock
- VobSubStrip [version 0.11]
- FourCC Changer
- Bitrate Calculator

Last edited:
Installed k lite codec mega pack and so far its working fine. Had to change the .mp4 files to avi before I can play with them though. Winavi sitll says that the mpeg\dvd codec is missing, though it still encodes.

dja2k

Back