• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed my Raptor/PC... not enough space to install windows after format!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dachy

I think I killed my Raptor/PC... not enough space to install windows after format!

Okay so I used a registry clean program and when i restarted it said ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt.. etc etc long story short, tried to replace it (expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.ex_) didn't work. so I decide to hell with it i'll just give up and reinstall windows XP. So I load up the HD drivers at windows setup... i go to partition my drive but it says there's not enough space to install on the partition I made which is only 8 mbs big?! my hd is 74 gigs! anyway so I boot from floppy and run FDISK... create the partition and it's only 5 mbs now! Im totally lost.. Im praying my HD isn't totally screwed and would appreciate ANY help you can offer! I have papers for school to write! :bang head

okay for some reason it let me install.. but it says there's 8 mb of unpartitioned space which I can't delete or do anything with really.. so i installed on the 70894mb partitioned space.. everything works now. but im wondering what the hell that 8mb of space is and why I can't do anything with it? before when i first built this sytem it would be 73gb not 69.3 or whatever. can i trust this fresh install or is it possible i have a virus or hardware problem that i should solve first? :shrug:

Last edited:
You'll need to remove all of the partitions from the hard drive from the windows setup then remake the primary partition. 8mb is the smallest possible partition size.

For future reference, microsoft has their own regclean.exe program that works fine.

Dachy said:
okay for some reason it let me install.. but it says there's 8 mb of unpartitioned space which I can't delete or do anything with really.. so i installed on the 70894mb partitioned space.. everything works now. but im wondering what the hell that 8mb of space is and why I can't do anything with it? before when i first built this sytem it would be 73gb not 69.3 or whatever. can i trust this fresh install or is it possible i have a virus or hardware problem that i should solve first? :shrug:

I have noticed this same thing where it won't let me partition 8mb worth of the drive. I can't remember which drive it was that was doing this to me, but it could have been my raptor... Anyway it is only 8mb so who cares...

Captain Slug said:
For future reference, microsoft has their own regclean.exe program that works fine.

Sorry for the threadjack. Captain Slug where can I get this prog for win2k sp4?

Back