• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Internet Security 2005 Error 1606

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

I am not sure if any of you have had this before but I thought I would post it just in case. I upgraded a machine from ME to XP and when I got XP on Norton Internet Security wasn't working properly (it wouldn't even open). Since it had had some problems even before the upgrade, I went ahead and uninstalled it (which I had to use a special tool for because it couldn't even do it itself) and planned on reinstalling it. For some reason though, every time I try to reinstall it I get a 1606 error saying that it can't locate /All Users/Desktop on the network (even though it is just one computer). I did all of the fixes that Symantec recommended, even working in the registry, but nothing has worked so far. Have any of you ever seen this before or do you have any other ideas that I could try to solve it? Here is what I have tried so far... http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ecurity&ver=2005&src=sg&pcode=nis&svy=&csm=no
I would just call Symantec for help but they now want 30 bucks an incident and I am not willing to pay that kind of money for this. Please help!

I had a problem that sounds the same but it was after I used Adware SE Norton shut its self down and wouldn't even open when I wanted it too. I tried everything Symantec stated on there website I even reinstalled the whole program but it wouldn't install what so ever.

In the end I just did a complete formatt but first backed up any important data that I needed. I think your best bet is too do the same and see if that solves the problem also if your planning on installing SP2 I installed it through safety mode. It was alot better and I have had no errors or problems when I've done it before.

Back