• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Tyan Kiger K8W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Egrimm

Registered
As the MSI mobo I had originally planned to use blew up (long story) I got a Tyan Tiger K8W instead. Worked out of the box without a hitch (which couldn't be said about the MSI), but I have some minor annoyances.

First is weird 3d-performance, a rather common problem it seems.
I have a 6800LE, which has a record for working well in an Asus P4C800E and MSI K8T Master2FAR. I'm using AMD driver pack v2.2 (directly from AMD), used to use 2.1 (from Tyan) but the problem is the same.
Without AMD vgart drivers I get very fine fps in rthdribl (my preffered "test-if-dx9-cards-work" test), around 45fps. It hangs after running 3d some minutes though. With the AMD drivers installed I get only 15fps but it is stable. I know synthetic benchmarks like that shouldn't be considered important and as it runs WoW (the only game I care about atm) fine with the AMD driver, but I cannot help but wonder if the AMD driver is cutting performance.
Anyone has a suggestion to something to make sure I get full performance out of my hw?

The other problem is more important: sometimes it seems to stutter for a second or two, I can move the mouse but all programs are frozen, and then it works fine again.
I have a load of stuff on the pci-bus (soundcard, tv-tuner and worst two Promise TX133 controllers with 7 drives, plus I use onboard lan and two sata ports), so it might be the pci-bus choking, but I'm not 100% certain. It's not the cpus being used as it's the same without 2x Folding@Home running.
Any comments?

Edit: Forgot to mention that music playing and such does not stutter, it continues playing smoothly while the gui apart from mousepointer is frozen, so it might be related to the graphics problems. Might try an old MX400 later today to check, haven't got any non-nVidia card to test with sadly is it might be a conflict between nVidia and chipset drivers (although people on 2cpu seem to have nVidia and the mobo running fine :eh?: )

Last edited:
Back