• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restore backup II (from the A&S thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jh2b

Registered
I had a drive go bad. Lucky I had a tape backup. Problem is I had to reinstall windows 2K to use the backup program. It did restore all the files. It just won't let me use most of them.
My main problem now is that it won't let me change user security levels for my old login. All the user names exist under documents and settings, but not when you open the users icon in the control panel. When I try to add one of the old ones, it says "user already has permission" blah blah.
Is there any way I can get the current OS to recognize the users in D&S so that I can change my old login back to admin?
TIA

el,
Other way around. It shows them under documents and settings, and will let me log into them, but doesn't show them as users and so won't let me change access levels...
Jim

can you change them in Control panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Manangement-Local users-users? does that work?

did you try "taking owner ship" of the files?

Or try a restore of the files from tape to a fat32 partition... ? i donno. Might be worth a shot.

None of the stuff worked, but I did FINALLY fix it.
Here's what I did:
Used Partion magic to make a copy of the partition with the bad sectors to a new drive.
Then I installed 2000 on an old drive a got the tape drive working.
Then I used the tape backup to overwrite and replace the corrupted files on the copied partition on the new drive.
Bingo-bango it just booted up and worked. I lost the swap file, which was on another drive, but when I recreated it, everything worked fine.
Thanks everyone for all you help!!!
As we all know, windows is a trial and error system. All the comments at least helped me to try different stuff.
Even though you all weren't directly responsible for figuring it out, you still rock. Just for trying...
JIm

Back