• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Since CPU forum is locked...I have a CPU question here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterhavok

I was wondering what would be better as far as performance (gaming) goes, between a 2.40Ghz Celeron D processor and a 1.8Ghz P4 processor? I have both and I was wondering if I should stick the P4 proc in and trade in the Celeron for other computer parts (my supplier lets me do this, since I do odd-jobs for him). Any advice or opinion is welcomed.

Cellery-D, by a lot. 1MB Cache, deadly overclocker (can probably hit 4.0Ghz on that chip), and its fast (Prescott Core)...

the 1.8 is probably a williamette, 512 cache and not as good of an overclocker.

So its the Cellery-D

SolidxSnake said:
Cellery-D, by a lot. 1MB Cache, deadly overclocker (can probably hit 4.0Ghz on that chip), and its fast (Prescott Core)...

the 1.8 is probably a williamette, 512 cache and not as good of an overclocker.

So its the Cellery-D

Well... I hate to be nit-picky, but the Celly D has 256k cache and the Willamette P-4 has 256k cache. If the 1.8 is a Northwood, then it has 512k cache and the Prescott P-4 has 1M cache.

If you can overclock the Celly D to over 3 gig and that should be easy, then that will beat the 1.8.

batboy said:
Well... I hate to be nit-picky, but the Celly D has 256k cache and the Willamette P-4 has 256k cache. If the 1.8 is a Northwood, then it has 512k cache and the Prescott P-4 has 1M cache.

If you can overclock the Celly D to over 3 gig and that should be easy, then that will beat the 1.8.

whoops, i thought the Celly-D had 1mb cache... mah bad...

man, my dads katmaii i think had 512 cache, just not full speed (256 on die, 256 on chip)

[offtopic]
All of the Katmai's 512k cache is off die, and runs off the BSB (back side bus). The two extra chips on a Katmai SECC are each 256k memory chips. If you're overclocking a Katmai these ram chips are often what hold you back.
[/offtopic]

While the CPU forum is locked, the sub-forums are not. You could have posted this in Intel CPUs (where it belongs), AMD CPUs or general CPU Discussion. The main cpu forum was locked mainly because so many things that should have been in either the intel or amd subsection (like this post) ended up there.

I'm with batboy on this one, if you can get a good OC out of the celeron, it should be faster than the P4.

batboy said:

Pretty much covers it.

The cellery will smoke the 1.8 because they scale much much better than even the best 1.8 NW.

Back