• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsinking everything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

My current setup in my sig. I have already sinked my fets and i just bought some pll sinks a southbridge sink and some ram sinks for my video card. I read a post somewhere in here, (i have searched and cannot find it now.) that explained how to mix as5 with the arctic alumina epoxy so it wasn't a permanent bond. Does anyone know how much as5 to add to the mixture? I have already permanently mounted the mosfet sinks so i will probably just epoxy the pll's and southbridge also, but i don't want to permanantly bond the ram sinks to the 9800xt. Thanks for any insight.

I generally mix 50/50 arctic alumina and arctic alumina epoxy. It is still "permanent," just not quite as strong. If you want to know how strong, just do a couple tests epoxying things together with different ratios.

I know thats a 50/50 mix, but someone here recommended mixing AS5 with that mixture and it wouldn't create a permanent bond.

Here is an idea. (shoot it down if need be, I havn't tried it) People sometimes use superglue on the corners with AS5 everywhere else, and I have yet to read anything that compares the results with arctic epoxy. Why not use the arctic epoxy on the corners?

dylskee said:
I know thats a 50/50 mix, but someone here recommended mixing AS5 with that mixture and it wouldn't create a permanent bond.
I think you misunderstood me. I cut the epoxy with plain old arctic alumina. 50% epoxy, 50% non-epoxy thermal paste. I don't think you can make it non permanent. Anything that would do that would prevent the epoxy from hardening at all. By cutting it with non-epoxy, you make it weaker, and easier to remove. The more thermal paste you add, the weaker it will be.

Update.......
I ended up cutting the epoxy with about a 25% mixture of AS5, i put sinks on all PLL's and my southbridge. So just about evrything has been sinked, i see a 5C to 8C drop in temps across the board!! Seems to be running a lot smoother. :)

Back