• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterhavok

I just installed a Jetway PM9MS motherboard with a 2.4Ghz Celeron D processor, well after I install Windows XP and 2k it does fine during the installation, but when I go to the desktop and spend any decent amount of time there, it freezes and locks up on me. I am not sure what is going on, any help would be appreciated.

Check your cpu temps first.
Check your event logs to see if anything strange is happening in there.
then run memtest to see if the ram is good.

Just a couple ideas.

winterhavok said:
I just installed a Jetway PM9MS motherboard with a 2.4Ghz Celeron D processor, well after I install Windows XP and 2k it does fine during the installation, but when I go to the desktop and spend any decent amount of time there, it freezes and locks up on me. I am not sure what is going on, any help would be appreciated.

I would check your temps. There should be a utility to check those that came with the mobo, or you can use motherboard monitor

I isolated the problem to when I would install the default drivers for my Radeon 9200 PCI card. I am wondering if there is a driver or IRQ conflict.

Is it possible for this to happen if the Power Supply is dying or effectively under-powered? I installed the drivers for my video card (hey took a gamble since I would have to uninstall through safe mode anyway) and it's working fine. But when I installed the sound card drivers it started it again, as soon as I removed the drivers for the sound card the computer acts fine. So I am wondering if it is an IRQ conflict or if I am looking at a dying PSU (it is a 350W).

Use Driver Cleaner PRO, it may be because you forgot to erase the old drivers. What PSU are you using? What are you system specifications?

-1cem4n

Well it has an onboard sound but I think I have it disabled in the BIOS and I am trying to use my Soundblaster Live 5.1 card. I am using a generic CodeGen 350W PSU and no the old drivers are not on the system, I did a format at least 4 times now.

Back