• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Asus Board To Pick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

texp4

Which one is the best of 3 ?
They are at same price. I try to replace my P5P800 board

ASUS P5GD1
ASUS P5GD1-VM
Or should I keep P5P800

Thanks

I'd keep it, until you're ready to jump up to an i945/i955 board or better.

^^^

Exactly what he said.

i915/925 mobos are, in a way, transitional. They will never support a dual core cpu, like the i945/955 does, if you should ever decide to try a dual core, down the road.

ref: First sentences of THIS ARTICLE

The only real advantage of i915/925 over i945/955, is you can buy i915 now, at a reasonable price, whereas you'll need to wait a bit for i945/955 to mature & come down in price.

IMO, I really don't see i915/925 currently bringing a great deal more to the table, over that of your P5P800, except for the capability to run an extreme high-end PCIe16 gfx card, & having HDD NCQ + native RAID capability in the ICH6R SB.

BTW - My current highest performing machine is a P5P800/640/G.Skill combo, and I'm perfectly happy to wait a few months for i945/955 + dual core cpu's to hit the streets, before I add another cruncher to my fleet.

JMO's

Strat

Stratcat said:
^^^

Exactly what he said.

i915/925 mobos are, in a way, transitional. They will never support a dual core cpu, like the i945/955 does, if you should ever decide to try a dual core, down the road.

ref: First sentences of THIS ARTICLE

The only real advantage of i915/925 over i945/955, is you can buy i915 now, at a reasonable price, whereas you'll need to wait a bit for i945/955 to mature & come down in price.

IMO, I really don't see i915/925 currently bringing a great deal more to the table, over that of your P5P800, except for the capability to run an extreme high-end PCIe16 gfx card, & having HDD NCQ + native RAID capability in the ICH6R SB.

BTW - My current highest performing machine is a P5P800/640/G.Skill combo, and I'm perfectly happy to wait a few months for i945/955 + dual core cpu's to hit the streets, before I add another cruncher to my fleet.

JMO's

Strat

Thanks Stratcat,
Just about jump on a combo deal with 915 chipset, but I'll keep mine for now for the next bigger jump.

texp4 said:
Thanks Stratcat,
Just about jump on a combo deal with 915 chipset, but I'll keep mine for now for the next bigger jump.
Yeah, that's what I'm doin' too; But we'll need at least a couple months of patience, at the minimum, before an i945 mobo comes down in price to anywhere near the current base i915 pricing! :rolleyes:

Strat

Yes, but that will be a long waiting I'm afraid :p
Anyway, that's the best option at this moment ;)

texp4 said:
Which one is the best of 3 ?
They are at same price. I try to replace my P5P800 board

ASUS P5GD1
ASUS P5GD1-VM
Or should I keep P5P800

Thanks

If you decide to give it the flick... please LMK

It's either one of these or an AS8

Back