• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ViaAqua need to be fully submersed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patrick_

Registered
I'm reading for the ViaAqua pumps on drsfostersmith.com:

Must be submersed at all times.

So does this mean that I need to have it in a bucket of water or something?

They say they have to be submersed because they usually don't have an inline intake. The intake from the factory is just a grate with a hole going to the impeller behind it. If you have a version of the pump with an intake on it that will accept a hose, it will work fine. The motor of the pump is a design that uses the fluid the pump is pumping to cool it. It will dump a little heat into the loop, but the pump will work fine. Because the pump heats the water a bit, it is better to use this loop:

Pump -> radiator -> CPU -> Pump

A T-line before the pump works well too.

My Via Aqua 1300 was quite loud when I first turned it on, but became nearly silent after a couple minutes. If your pump is really loud when you start it, just give it a couple minutes, it should get quieter. (This noise drove me nuts when I first got the pump, because I thought it was broken and didn't wait for it to get quiet, just took it appart for no reason only to see it was fine)

I would suggest this:

-Find a hose connecotor made for connecting a 1/2" pipe or similar to a garden hose. This will provide a good ribbed surface to clamp your hose to and a bigger (1"?) surface to attach to the pump.
-CAREFULLY drill or cut a hole in the front of the intake grill slightly smaller than the hose connector
-Put a very small amount of epoxy on the hose connector and stick it to the hole on the pump, then put a bit of epoxy along all the openings on the intake grate to close them off a bit.
-Keep adding layers of epoxy until all the holes in the intake grate are filled.
-put a 1/8" thick layer of construction adheasive overtop of the entire pump intake and around the hose addapter. Construction adhesive is crazy stuff. There are actualy 3 things that will survive a nuclear blast. Cochroaches, Twinkies, and construction adhesive.

Back