• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gunther

yes the title is vauge, well my question is going to make a lot of you laugh I'm sure, but bear with me: How does the internet get from me to my computer? by that I mean, how do you plug it in through a modem and a router? I assume it goes: wall plug>router>modem>computer. Is this right? Obviously I have never installed my own internet, so I also would like to know if you need to install any drivers for the modem or router? Anyways, thx for any responces I get.

wall -> modem -> router -> your computer.

No drivers needed. you access the router, using your web browser (read the doc's when you get them!), and you use a network cable to connect your pc to the router.

your using the wrong terms I think. You mean you never installed our own network (connecting several computers together in your home). Normally by network we mean a LAN (local area network which means short distances using TCP/Ip technology i.e a "normal" router with normal network cables or wireless even).

the Internet is the network of networks, connection several networks together, i.e your home network (your computer which connects to your router to our modem to your wall) then from your wall we have a new network, your telephones/ISP network, your phone line goes to the local exchange (place which deals with telephone and networks stuff) which is basically full of routers and switches, from there your signal goes to your ISP's which has a network on its own and devices which are needed to handel YOU as customer who wants to connect to the "INTERNET" like a DNS server etc. What your isp does is to connect its network to other BIG networks which are all linked together via nice fast pipes.. ie your isp to another isp or to a large organisation like a hosting company for website or a university server.... very basic description but its really not that difficult to graps ones you spend an hour or so reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
and follow linsk and read some more pages... you soon understand and realise how COOL and amazing the internet and networking really is and how dam simple it is... .. ok dont learn how the TCP/IP model works or how subneting works but you know the basics

thats....nice..... I just said what I needed to so I could get my point across. But true, network is a more accurate term. But if I can't install my own "network" what made you think I knew the right terms? Besides, I really didn't need to know how it gets from the phone lines to my computer. Not to be rude, but c'mon now, and the phrase "and then you will know how dam simple it is" is fairly insulting, take more time in your posts before you post them.

posts like yours make we think twice if I should bother answering questions to people who "don’t know" and ask questions on forums.
My intention when I answer is to give a good answer and to explain why and how xxx. I often give additional information on the topic, because not only you read this post but other people too, read your question and look at the answers… the thing is I learned 80% of my computer know-how on forms (like how to build pc, software tweaks etc), moreover I never make fun out of "noobs" beginners etc. (whatever you call them) or don’t flame.
however to answer your comments on my post and to see how I could have answered:
Gunther said:
yes the title is vauge, well my question is going to make a lot of you laugh I'm sure, but bear with me: How does the internet get from me to my computer? by that I mean, how do you plug it in through a modem and a router? I assume it goes: wall plug>router>modem>computer. Is this right? Obviously I have never installed my own internet, so I also would like to know if you need to install any drivers for the modem or router? Anyways, thx for any responces I get.

You said what you needed to say so you can get your point across?
sorry your first post says that the title is “vague”, “it will make a lot of people laugh”!?
ok fair enough sounds like somebody asking a question most of us geeks know and we are more then happy to answer.. that’s what we do on this forum, we are nice people.
Then your question: “How does the internet get from me to my computer?”

It doesn’t, you have no I/O ports for networking which would connect to your computer, moreover its not clear if you talk about a generic internet or the Internet (different things). you cannot plug the yourself into a modem and a router.

Well you obviously didn’t want me to answer like this? right?

Then you ask how you would connect the various networking devices from your plug to your computer, moreover you give an example doing it wrongly.
Fair enough, but at least most of us know what your question is now and we can correct you which again is what we do. In thise case "Know Nuttin" answered you and I thought it would be nice to get more in depth.

Then you say you have never installed your own internet….. mhh the term network is correct not just better.

I give you a nice and detailed answer and you comment like this:

Gunther said:
thats....nice..... I just said what I needed to so I could get my point across. But true, network is a more accurate term. But if I can't install my own "network" what made you think I knew the right terms? Besides, I really didn't need to know how it gets from the phone lines to my computer. Not to be rude, but c'mon now, and the phrase "and then you will know how dam simple it is" is fairly insulting, take more time in your posts before you post them.

No you didn’t say what you needed too? your question really didn’t make sense.
I don’t know if you cant install your own network you don’t know the right terms.. and you obviously don’t since you call your network the internet.
I thought your question was how it gets from the phones lines to your computer.. didn’t I answer this? moreover I gave more information how it gets from your phone line to your ISP and how the whole Internet works, plus of forum links.

How is the phrase “"and then you will know how dam simple it is" insulting? I am just saying read the wikipedia article because its amazing how the Internet and networking works. It’s a great read and since you don’t know how to network and you ask a networking question here I thought it was my duty to answer you.
Telling me HOW TO POST AND TAKE MORE time on the other hand is funny, you should read your post before you post and take more time so you actually ask a question, then read your replies and don’t insult members who gave you a decent and good answer with the best intentions, people dont like this on here.

The best response to a troll is no response... He either misunderstood your post or he's out to cause trouble. In any event its not your fault, so it's really no biggie.

Last edited:
Back