• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REAAALLLY Old Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Well, my stepdad got a laptop from, like, 1992-93, and gave it to me.

Up to this point, i know it as the following:

Toshiba Sattelite T1950CT

200MB HDD (12ms access time)

1x Parallel

1x Serial

1x SVGA Out

1 PCMCIA port

1 rechargable NiMH w/ Intelligent Power Supply

40 MHz 3.3 volt, Intel i486DX2 (I see 486 in there :D)

Accomodates both 1.44 MB double-sided, high-density floppies, and 720 KB double-sided, double-density floppies

2 PS/2 ports

4MB Integrated RAM, Supports LIM-EMS for expanded RAM (came w/ 4 MB of expanded RAM)

TFT Color LCD capable of 640x480, 256 colors

82 key Integrated Keyboard (comes with detachable ballpoint mouse (like a trackball))

Operating System: MS-DOS w/ Windows 3.11

PCMCIA Fax Modem (56kbps)

----------------
Stuff I added On
----------------

Calmira (provides Win95-like interface)

(will be adding more stuff soon)

So?!?!

So, do you still have any of the old 720k floppies with it? I ask because back in those days, having two different types of floppies was a way to charge too much for the "good" ones. If you do, just get anything with enough leverage and punch the extra hole in the top corner -- instant 1.44 floppy disks.

Also, the NiMH battery is interesting. I did not know that such things existed back then. Modern NiMH batteries have considerably more capacity. If you can pop the battery pack open, you can probably replace what is in there with the newer batteries that you can buy everywhere. Do that and your lappy will last all day on battery power. Of course you will not be palying HL2 on it but for word processing and web surfing, you will majorly outlast today's pentium-M lappies.

Pictures would be up soon, but my camera refuses to work, and I don't have anything that can get the pics off it anyway...anyone know of a free picture grabber?

And about the battery...this is what it says on the back:

NICKEL-METAL HYDRIDE
BATTERY PACK

MODEL NO. PA2420U RA
DC 12V_ _ _ 2400mAh

Toshiba Corporation

It weighs about 10 ounces and is 3x5 inches

It doesn't recharge anymore.....but, then again, it's 13 years old :D

Malpine Walis said:
Also, the NiMH battery is interesting. I did not know that such things existed back then. Modern NiMH batteries have considerably more capacity. If you can pop the battery pack open, you can probably replace what is in there with the newer batteries that you can buy everywhere. Do that and your lappy will last all day on battery power. Of course you will not be palying HL2 on it but for word processing and web surfing, you will majorly outlast today's pentium-M lappies.

I'd be amazed if that battery pack still functioned. The batteries on most laptops that I've seen have died within 2-3 years.

It can only contain a <1% charge, and i know this, as it boots for a second, then shuts down, and it can flash its DC in LED at me....

And PCMCIA?!?! IN 92?!?!!?! WTF!?!?! And I mean REAL PCMCIA...this is one future-proof laptop! (excluding the ram limit)

And even more, it only has one dead pixel! :D

Damn, my mom lost the cord for the crap camera...I'll find some on the internet, I guess, until I can get my camera interfaced...

:bang head

4a_1_b.JPG
B-532.gif

T1950CT.jpg

Seems to be it for now, however, I'll try to find a picture of the PCMCIA...

i can beat that, i have a canon notebook, built in printer, dos 5.0, 25mhz, 80mb hard drive, 4mb ram. interesting little machine, if it had a new CMOS batt itd be fine.

Back