• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please post your Lian Li V-Series watercooled!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCS911

I have Lian Li V-Series but I'm struggling about whether I want to mod this beautiful case for watercooling my PC or not, so please post pics of your Lian Li V-Series watercooled for us!!

my current setup. soon enough I will change the cpu block, and go to dual loop. already have the extra hardware, just need to finish a block.

6800x16.jpg

Anyone have a V1000 w/watercooling?

Any good pics or how too's? I am looking at getting a w/c setup in my V1000, but I don't have the room like the V1200 and up.

Any ideas? I am looking at going with a DD setup.

thanks

corban

you'll probably have to cut a hole in the top to fit the radiator in there... but otherwise it should be pretty easy

OCS911 said:
very nice wiring job! would you mind to take more pics of your setup?

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see? I've uploaded quite a few pics over the last couple of months and I'd rather point you to them than upload more right now--I'm trying to save enough to post a coherent build log when it's actually "complete."

Hey MVC,

Thanks... What I am thinking, and please feel free to jump in, is two black ice extremes (BIX) at either end of the case. One on each of the default case 120mm fans. The front one would require the removal of one of the drive bays. As for a pump, I am looking at the new D5 (aka swiftech MCP-655) to store in the case bottom compartment next to the front fan/BIX setup. I would then like to have a T-line setup to go to a CPU, GPU, and chipsetblock. I am a little new at this, so I am currious how hard it is to drill a hole in the top to add in the T-line. It's such a nice case, I don't want to mess it up to bad...

What kind of setup to you have? Please point me to the pics. I would love to see them, and when you are done, the build log would be great as well!

I like this case, but it is a little small. I was hoping to be able to add in a BIX2, but I don't see where it can really fit.

As for flow, I was thinking:

D5 pump -> T-line -> BIX (back) -> CPU -> GPU -> Chipset -> BIX (front) -> pump...

How does that look?

and thanks for the help.

cheers

corban

One other thing... Do you have a V1000, or do you have the bigger cases from Lian Li?

thanks

corb

Hi Corban: I'll do the easy questions first then make a dent in the harder ones.

I've got a V2100b and there's a link to a basic pic of what my system looks like in the 2nd post in this thread. However, I'm thinking of moving everything into a V2000b--I bought the version with a door because I planned on having the machine sit under my desk, but the door is getting on my nerves so now I'm looking to relocate the box and eliminate the door (talk about expensive "mistakes").

I tried a couple of different searches under my name but I didn't find a good way to come up with the pics I've posted--if someone knows how to only get my pics, please let me know. But, I should have a build log up pretty soon, all I'm waiting on to "finish" this box is my G5 and a couple of cables that should be available from Performance PCs in early June.

Drilling into the top of the case to install a t-line (or anything else for that matter) is very easy. The aluminum isn't difficult to work with at all. I used a uni-bit drill bit for the Danger Den fill-port in mine, but a hole saw of the proper diameter would work just as well.

As for your setup: First, put the t-line before the pump, not after it--the water should feed into the pump's intake.

If you're looking to keep everything internal there really isn't a good way to get a dual 120mm radiator into that box. Using two radiators probably is your best option, but take a good look at the amount of space you've got between the rear 120mm fan and where the CPU is located on your motherboard. With my Asus board it would be one tight fit, if it fit at all, to get a BIX and fan in there without seriously interferring with the mounting for the water block on the CPU. You might have to go to a BIP which is .75" thinner.

The biggest problem with using two 120mm radiators is that you're increasing the resistance considerably if compared to a one dual 120mm radiator. Most of the resistance comes from the fittings and the "junction" (don't know what its real name is) where the fittings are attached. The length of the tubes in the radiator don't affect flow anywhere near as much, so having a double radiator is much more efficient since you would only have one set of fittings/junction. Have you considered mounting a double (or tripple) radiator outside of the box? I've seen where people have done this cleanly and if you search a bit you can probably find some pics.

From all accounts the D5 (MCP655) is an excellent pump so you should be fine there. But, with very few exceptions, water cooling the north/south bridge is a waste of time/money/effort so I wouldn't add these to the loop in the initial build. They can always be added later if necessary. BTW, which blocks were you planning on using for the CPU and GPU?

Hey MVC,

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about the TDX and the MAZE4 for the CPU/GPU. I was waiting to see what DD has for the chipset before I buy. I have a DFI Ultra nForce4 board. Why is it a waste of time/money/etc, etc water cooling the chipset? Just curious? I am more in it for the noise than the cooling. The fan on the chipset is fairly loud. But I am not sold on that for sure. Again, just waiting to see what DD can do for that.

I wish I could use a dual 120mm radiator. I just don't have the room. I did measure based on what you siad, and based on the size of the single BIX, I think I will be ok. (At least I hope I will be.) I have a little room to spare before the rad would hit the CPU. I should be able to get the block in there ok. It winds up covering the ram some, but not to much. The DFI board has the CPU more in the middle.

Ok, I will put the T-line before the pump. I will have to see where to put the pump now. I don't know if it will fit in the bottom compartment with the other rad/fan, and the single drive bay. (All in the same compartment may be pushing it.)

While I like this case, it's just a tad to small for a good water cooling setup. It might just work, but I will have to wait to get all the parts.

I thought about an external soulution, but I like things simple on the outside. I will poke around to see what images I can find.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

corb

noxqzs, is that a 120mm radiator @ the front of your case? and did it fit without modification? and which case it is? I am buying a case here in the next short while and don't want to have to mod it in anyway to get the radiator to fit.

lowfat said:
noxqzs, is that a 120mm radiator @ the front of your case? and did it fit without modification? and which case it is? I am buying a case here in the next short while and don't want to have to mod it in anyway to get the radiator to fit.

It looks like a V2000. The V2000 and V2100 are all but identical internally, but the V2100 has a door on the outside covering the drive bays. As for mods, he has removed the front drive cage, but it's only held in by six rivets. If you're going to put a radiator at the front I'd recommend the new Thermochill 160.

Hello, folks. Not much of a looker (and unfinished), but functional... :)

PC-V2100
lian-li_170.jpg
lian-li_163.jpg
lian-li_137.jpg

Wondering where I was going to mount the pump, and wanting an efficient loop, I decided on a 'crossflow' 3x120 radiator made by XSPC that allowed me to suspend the D4 by the tubing alone. Original? ;)

Oddly I found that, even though these cases are pretty damn massive, my options for mounting the rad were limited. I only just managed to place it in the position it's in now (centered in the top of the case) due to the proximity of the motherboard hardware.

sumfuka said:
Oddly I found that, even though these cases are pretty damn massive, my options for mounting the rad were limited. I only just managed to place it in the position it's in now (centered in the top of the case) due to the proximity of the motherboard hardware.

Yeah, Lian-Li really designed these cases for efficient air cooling--they couldn't have been thinking about water cooling or they would have left more space at the top. I'm seriously thinking about getting a V2000 and taking the radiator external. It wouldn't look as clean, but it sure would be a lot more functional.

MVC said:
Most of the resistance comes from the fittings and the "junction" (don't know what its real name is) where the fittings are attached.
"Junction"= "header tanks".
Just thought you'd like to know.

lowfat said:
I have decided to purchase a V1000 here soon. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to post a pic :D

Just keep in mind that the V1000 is not a good case for water cooling. The area for the PSU is small so it won't fit many of the newer (and more powerful) PSUs, and the area for the motherboard is completely used up by a standard ATX board. If you want to do water cooling and keep the system internal, I'd get a different case, if only a V1200 which would give you an additional 4" of depth to work with.

Back