• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVM n00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I'm a n00b to KVM switches. Can someone point me in the right direction for a good KVM that I can use between my main gaming rig, and my silent PII. All I really need is PS2+PS2+VGA. No USB or audio stuff. But I want to be able to play FPS games and view at least 1024x768 without lag or distortion. Thanks.

Oh and in case it matters, I'm using a CRT (mitsubishi sb70) and a Logitech wireless duo. I know there are many cheap KVM's out there that don't like keyboards/mice with extra buttons and whatnot.

I got a D-link KVM 2xPs2 and 1 VGA, for 20.00 a few months ago. I use it with my servers works great every mouse I use works, and keyboard. It also allows you to change by pressing the scroll lock and either number 1 or 2 depending on what computer you want. http://dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=227 That is the one I have but they go all the way up to 16 ports.

I use a TrendNET TK-400. It is a 4 port switch that i got for relatively cheap. It works great for exactly what you need. remember when buying a KVM the switch seems to be the cheap part. It is the cables that cost a ton of cash, so keep you eye out.

Do you need a USB kvm today? or do ALL new computers still have PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse? I don't really get what the USB does for you if the computer already has a keyboard and mouse?

plus some of them have the ability to plug in USB peripheral devices. Well this will only handle USB 1.0 so what good is that for really?

The ones that are mechanical use a physical switch, or knob. Usally they can not handle as much of resolution, and cause a lot more problems, similar if you unplug a Ps2 mouse while the computer is running, not always though. I got a eletrical one and I have had only a few problems with the mouse sticking probably because linux is not officialy supported.

oh okay, I thought you were talking about one with it's own power supply.. cause I see some that use the power from the keyboard and others that have their own power supplies. Not sure why one would need a power supply when the other one doesnt?

squale said:
oh okay, I thought you were talking about one with it's own power supply.. cause I see some that use the power from the keyboard and others that have their own power supplies. Not sure why one would need a power supply when the other one doesnt?

An electronic one would need power to run it's electronics, a manual switch one would not. ;)

I have a D-Link one coming myself. It's not a ps/2 version, but USB.
It says that it requires no software.
Hotkeys or manual switch to change devices too.
The only thing I'll miss is mobo's that have a jumper to enable hotkeys to work as the power button..that has to run through a ps/2 connector.

HERE is their ps2 version of about the same one.

Last edited:
Ive heard a few have problems with the mouse being draged on the screen. Esp the d-link versions.

I am looking for one and the d-link has a $10 rebate now so it would be a good deal.

I think you should look for one that activates the ps/2 lines by using a fake mouse signal to simulate that the mouse and keyboard are there. Do these do that?

JT

Back