• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you access your Personal web server from the internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTringali

Registered
I installed IIS on my comp running XP Pro, and I'm wondering if I can access the files in wwwroot folder (or other shared files) from the internet. I can use my own IP and access it (192.168.0.2) but is it possible to do it from the internet. If so, how?? Thanks in advance for helpin out.

-Chris Tringali

What you would need to do is find out you IP address on the internet, can be done by looking in the connection properties or something similar on your modem/router.

then you would just type it into your web browser, for example, say your address was 203.97.37.14. You would type Http://203.97.37.14
If you are behind a firewall/router chances are you will need to forward the port your server is on, by default its 80, to your internal IP address (thats the 192.168.0.2 address) so that it will know where to go when you put in the http:// request.

The forwarding part of the router is fairly easy to find, usually labeled 'Port Forwarding' or 'Virtual Server' or something of the like. Hope I wrote this out well enough :)

Back