• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this looking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i would seriously reconsider the psu. the psu is vital and shouldn't be skimped out on. i would recommend a decent tagan since they are good and don't cost a huge amount. i would also reconsider the case but that isn't so important. also will you be overclocking?

I don't intend to overclock for now. I just want a decent gaming rig to be honest. My firts build so want it to last a while.

if you want it to last then definitely go with a much better psu. the psu is the heart of your pc. clean power is vital. if you can't fit it in your budget with what you have at the moment then you should make space for it by changing some of the other components

What could i skimp on? I want the pc to perform well with games.......am i over spending on the motherboard?

well you wont really be able to find a good motherboard for much less than that. IMHO i would either consider moving to socket 754 since there is still very good performance but much more budget friendly or beg for an extra £40-£50. maybe someone else can give you better advice since i'm not a pro on amd systems

[edit] you could also consider moving to a 3200+. gaming performance will still be very good

okay so if i skimp to a 3200+ winnie i can save 60 in there and get a high quality psu?

Does the winnie have good ocing potential as I might look into this for more power later on in the year

that might be a wise choice. i know nothing about the overclockability of a winchester but others can help you there. for £70-£80 you can get a very good PSU around 480-500W. these are the times when you realise just how much cheaper stuff is in the states...

AthlonNewb said:
Does the winnie have good ocing potential as I might look into this for more power later on in the year

The winchester 3200+ has good OC potential check the AMD CPU sections for tips and experiences.

Overall it's a damn nice rig. H/f with it.

Yeah just been checking the psu's fsp groups blue storm 500w i have in mind but out of stock i wish that i live in the states parts are so much cheaper!

DO NOT GET THE ROSEWILL!, they are crap get a Fortron, Sparkel, OCZ (not modstream), Seasonic, Antec, Enermax PSU the one you have will likly only run for 1-2years and could kill your mobo when it dies. Also why get an SLI mobo when your not using SLI video cards, save some $$ get the DFI ultra D or if your really not going to overclock the Chaintec NF4. The memory is good, video card is top notch, and so is the mobo i just think its overkill if your not overclocking or using an SLI ready video card.

infinitevalence said:
DO NOT GET THE ROSEWILL!, they are crap get a Fortron, Sparkel, OCZ (not modstream), Seasonic, Antec, Enermax PSU the one you have will likly only run for 1-2years and could kill your mobo when it dies. Also why get an SLI mobo when your not using SLI video cards, save some $$ get the DFI ultra D or if your really not going to overclock the Chaintec NF4. The memory is good, video card is top notch, and so is the mobo i just think its overkill if your not overclocking or using an SLI ready video card.

good call man so DFI ultra D then, no differences between the boards apart from the SLI?

I doubt i will be overclocking yes i think i am going to go Antec with the psu

Buy the OCZ Powerstream or a Tagan 480W (my favorite so far), instead of Antec. All 3 of my Antec's have irritating noises after 6months, after cleaning up, the same loud irritating noise plus a none stable voltage. 12V = 11.46V on all 3 Antecs for me.
The 2 best (so far) according to me is Tagan 480W silent and the OCZ Powerstream.

tagans are very good good value for money. nothing flashy but reliable and stable. i would also recommend the dfi ultra-d just out of personal preference. however you should note the ultra d is also about £100 so makes no difference to your budget

My Thoughts

I understand the constraints of a budget.I would seriously consider the Venice core before abanding it.The Forums (cpu) might be helpful here.
I also wonder why your going with the SLI MB but the ATI card.Is it your plan not to use SLI?Could you say a little here with the non-sli A8n.Maybe your going to use sli if so you will need to go with nivida.

Back