• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fabricating an external water-cooling unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s random

would it be advisable to build a box, and put a heater-core, pump, and reservoir. How would i go about doing this, most importaint part for me would be how easy it would be to disconnect form the main chassis and ability to move it around

doesnt seem to hard, you could have like double sided barbs on both the case and the external housing, leading to the case. something like this :

untitled.png

does anyone know of someone who did this and put a guide up while they did it??

Ive made one out of lucite and it came out quite nice, Ill post some pics later of it.

Tim

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
doesnt seem to hard, you could have like double sided barbs on both the case and the external housing, leading to the case. something like this :

untitled.png

[OT] That "CASE!!!" label made my whole week. [/OT]

You could try to get some sheet metal, and a hinged side. Then you make arrangements for your parts, drill holes and make mounts etc. Then you put everything in the holes, and leave a filling, an in, and an out barb. then make accommodations in the case, and then close the water-cooling case, your case, and hook everything up.

that case is soo awesome, it needed the 3 exclamation points. :D ive been thinking of doing this thing myself. how do you think the heat buildup in the cube would be? i have a cheap 350w psu i can use for fans and stuff. this is gonna be a fun project. im thinking the same color blue as my case. ill post my results if and when i do it. im excited for this, i just need to find some of these barbs and whatnot.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
that case is soo awesome, it needed the 3 exclamation points. :D ive been thinking of doing this thing myself. how do you think the heat buildup in the cube would be? i have a cheap 350w psu i can use for fans and stuff. this is gonna be a fun project. im thinking the same color blue as my case. ill post my results if and when i do it. im excited for this, i just need to find some of these barbs and whatnot.

I would say to get a 2x 120mm rad (if you could get 4x 120mm if thats possible, 2 on each side of the rad, push>pull), have it mounted in the top of the enclosure, than the res next to that rad, the pump on the bottom left corner of the enclosure, then whatever else is needed on the bottom right, and then a sideways airflow pattern (one in the center of each side of the enclosure, either intake-->exaust, or exaust<-->exaust)

if i go about doing this could i disconnect it from the main system for ease of transportion, does the water just drain into the reservoir? or is there something special i need to set up

I like Home Depot, and it had to be super LAN portable. It's still super ugly, but it works amazingly well. :p

It's just aluminum L-channel, and basic macheine nut n bolts, will be redone soon, just threw that together for a major lan event.

002.jpg

03.jpg

Back