• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC restarting for no apparent reason?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokers_greg

i got my stable non-ocd rig, and i put it in a new case. Ever since i did, the computer restarts whenever I:

a) put the comp into standby
b)open up some games
c)if it is left on, without doing anything to it for a while, just when the screensaver is supposed to go on, it restarts.

At first i thiugh it was the wiring, so i did what i could to keep the IDE cables as least bent as possible, but the problem persists. I also noticed that i am not able to do a system restore, whenever i do the comp seems to be doing it, but when it boots to windows a pop-up comes up saying that the restore could not be completed. Do you guys have any suggestions of what i should do to fix the problem. I really don't feel like reformatting the HD.

BTW my board is an Intel 845EBG2, with its original BIOS, im on XP pro.

First of dont use standby or hibernation on a desktop, there are to many things that can go wrong with MS's implimentation.

Is this a custom build? if so check the folowing
1. Heatsink, is it clean, is it on there well, try removing it cleaning off the TIM and reaplying it to see if that helps
2. Check your power supply you may have power problems.
3. How old is your xp install i have seen registry problems that can cause random reboots and shutdowns, you may want to look at a clean install.

hmmm, is there a way to test my psu for problems? do you think it could've been the way i installed these parts? I don't kow why but im suspecting my IDE cables, and I remember having problems with the HS, too much pressure at first, but i fixed it after. D you think it could be bent pins or sometin like that?

Even though the hardware is the same I would do a complete fresh install of the OS and test it without additional installations.

R

When I pushed my computer in the sig to a 400 mhz fsb from 333 stock, it would post, and then reboot, it was a 300 watt psu.

hmmm, i got it so stop because i turned off ma screen saver, and turned off most things in the power management section of control panel. Still, i'll have a fresh OS for the summer, too lazy now, exams comin up

meh couldn;t wait anymore, just put in a fresh install, it seems i always have these stinkin problems with intel, both their boards and procs. I will be going amd when the X2 cheapens up

jokers_greg said:
meh couldn;t wait anymore, just put in a fresh install, it seems i always have these stinkin problems with intel, both their boards and procs. I will be going amd when the X2 cheapens up

Yes.....YES.....do that....gollum....:D

try running prime95..maybe it has to do with the motherboard..I am RMAing mine...because it got an error on it, if there is an error there must be something wrong..also mine was rebooting too...it just started getting worse..

Back