• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDC Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrusLRoc

Ok, my second DDC pump from Danger Den died today, both have died after running for about 10 or so hours. I don't know whether to try to RMA it for an exchange or try to swap out for the new D4, I liked the size of the DDC, however, I can't seem to get a reliable one. Any of you have any ideas what I should check to see what is killing these pumps. Or could I have just got a couple of lemons. Bah, Time to see if I can RMA this one back to Danger Den. :(

-Andy

If you shake it does it start back up? I've redone my system a few times and after filling my pump wouldn't start unless I hit it or shook it. I’ve found that some air in the pump will cause it to not start. Once you shake it a bit to get the air out it will start fine from then on out with no problems.

I'll definitely try that. However, I know I bled all the air out of the system, I let my fill&bleed run for about 2 hours before I closed it out. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

what's ur watercooling system consist of? it could be a pressure system and the motor dying from too much resistance. I've seen a lot of posts and people having trouble with these pumps. Good replacements are pond pumps like eheims, hydors, and the best budget one is a Via Aqua 1300 ($25 or so at aquastealth.com). There's a real easy mod requiring super glue to make them more quiet and you can also put down some padding if that's bothersome for you, but for the price and performance, nothing beats em.

I don't think it's resistance. It's a 3/8's system, with a tdx on the cpu and a bix rad, and that's it. Well, and the fill and bleed system. I'm running out of ideas. I guess I'll go with the D4 unless I figure out what's going on. I'm not really on a budget constraint here, just tryin to get this working so I can show it. It's a startup business I'm getting into locally here.

-Andy

Well, I tapped it a few good times with the end of my screwdriver and now it's working again. This could get super annoying if I have to tap it with the screwdriver every 10 hours or so. I know that since it's running that it should continue running, but I do turn it off occasionally. Oh well... Guess I'll live with it.

-Andy

that is a pain, i'm not sure you'll want to life with it though, what if you leave ur computer on and forget about it and leave. thigns could go badly very quickly. if budget isn't a limit hydor l35, and eheim 1250s are among the most preferred here on the forums.

Like I said... shake it a bunch you have something in it. Hitting it with a screwdriver will only get it going but wont get it to start next time. Now that its going just shake it a bunch and I bet it will start from now on.

yeah, I have a 1250, just wanted a smaller pump because I'm designing a new SFF case for a client and I wanted a small enough pump to watercool it possibly, so I was trying this pump. So far, i'm unimpressed, but maybe I do just have something in it. So far it's been on and off a few times and no starting troubles yet, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

-Andy

Back