• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

As some of you may have seen, I recently got an old-*** laptop. Link. So, I thought, why not put Win95 on it? Problem is, it's only got a floppy drive. And 8 megs of RAM. I'm not one who really cares about things being slow, as you may be able to tell from my sig. So, what do I need to know, or, if it's even possible?

I wasn't around for Windows 95 computers, but uhh, I do think 95 did come on floppy disks for installation. I'm even less sure about the 8 megs of ram, but I think it required 16.

Whoa, just realized your 2 years younger than me, that would make you 4 at the release of 95 (I thought I was young)

Holy crap you kids are young.

anyway, you should be able to install 95 via a floppy disc. As far as ram goes, it'll be slow as hell but still possible. That being said, it's hardly worth the effort...

hahaha, nothing is as slow as my first win95 machine. 486DX-33 with 8MB edo ram ;)

edit: Ok I just looked at the link, maybe I'm wrong.. holy crap that _is_ old O_O

It is possible, thats pretty much the minimum requirements for win 95 (MS spec, I know some people that were able to load it on faster 386 systems). The problem is going to be finding the floppy install for win 95. If you find one, the disks may now be corrupted (floppies don't have a good shelf life). If I remember right, the cab files on the cd editions were the same as the floppy edition (ie 1.44 MB .cab files). There may be a command that you can run from the cd to generate the floppy disks, but I don't know it :(

If you find a CD version that is listed as OSR2, this will not work on the laptop. OSR2 (Operating system release 2) added functionality and performance to the os, but made it less compatible to older hardware due to increased requirements. Also, what I mentioned above with the floppies does not hold true for OSR2. It came as CD only.

If this is meant as a secondary system, you may want want to look into loading a linux distrobution on it (MS OS Nazi's need not reply :p :cool: ). Linux can be friendlier, resource wise, to older systems. Mostly, it will depend on what you want the system to do.

No, I just like to put operating systems on computers that can't handle them. Such as putting XP on the computer in my sig :D

Yes...maybe linux....hrm....maybe a crappy server? *deep thought*

i dont know how good it is, but why not try the "really damn small linux" distro?

NsOmNiA91130 said:
No, I just like to put operating systems on computers that can't handle them. Such as putting XP on the computer in my sig :D

Yes...maybe linux....hrm....maybe a crappy server? *deep thought*
A friend of mine used an old laptop similar to the one above as his firewall/NAT router. He did it because he was too cheap to by extra pci net cards and he had loads of extra pcmcia net adapters. He loaded linux and only built firewall/nat stuff into it so it did it pretty quickly.

Back