• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp boot help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimmAy

Registered
i have windows xp with sp2 and whenever windows boots the my documents folder opens itself. there are many different taskbar tools that open too. if i turn them off the next time windows boots they show up again.. if anyone could help me stop these problems i would greatly apreciate it. thanks

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Winlogon

Highlight the Winlogon Key in the LH pane, and look for the Userinit String value name in the RH pane | If the Key has a Value data of...

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe

...right click Userinit, and select "Modify" | In the "Edit String" window that opens, enter the following into the "Value data" field...

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

In addition to the above, expand this next branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Advanced

...and check to make sure the PersistBrowsers DWORD has a Hexadecimal Value data of 0

If all the above checks out OK, download and run the Registry edit from here...

My Documents Folder Opens Upon Boot (for C:\) ...Line 255
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Last edited:
Instead of having threads in here, maybe we should just have people with Microsoft OS questions send you a PM redduc900! :)

Back