• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I Hook Up Pump TO PSU????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chris64

Disabled
I have a extra psu running my vidercard and would like to hook up my pump to it also, is this possible? Can i attach it to just regular molex wires? If so what colors?

Oh yea, pump is Quiet One 1200

chris64 said:
I have a extra psu running my vidercard and would like to hook up my pump to it also, is this possible? Can i attach it to just regular molex wires? If so what colors?

Oh yea, pump is Quiet One 1200
Yes, with a relay and some internal mods to the PSU. If you just want the pump to turn on with the computer, you only need a relay. Wire the +12v and G to the coil in the relay, and the hot wire of the pump to the normally open (NO & COM) part of the relay. If you want the pump wired into the same plug the PSU uses, you need to open the PSU and wire the pump into the plug, plus throw in the relay.

note: Only do this if you know what you're doing.

BTW, +12v on the molex is yellow, G is black.

what is the relay for? do i need it? the pump already has exposed wires and i have molex conectors already cut on the psu. Can u just connect the wires?

chris64 said:
what is the relay for? do i need it? the pump already has exposed wires and i have molex conectors already cut on the psu. Can u just connect the wires?
the quietone 1200 runs on 110v AC right? Then you need the relay so it switches on the pump when the PSU turns on. I would still need to be plugged into the wall if you just use a relay.

yeah, JUST the molex won't work for your pump. It's an AC pump.

Yup, it's an AC 110 volt pump, and the molex only has DC 12 and 5 volts.
The relay method uses a relay that's triggered by the power supply to turn the pump on/off with the power supply instead of you having to remember to do so. You can't actually power that pump with a computer powersupply.

There are pci cards that do the same thing as well, maybe that's more like what you'd be looking for.

HERE is a link I found in Google for you. I don't know these guys, but that's the device I spoke of.

Last edited:
Back