• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna redo my setup, need opinions and advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBasher

About 2 months ago, I finally got my water cooling done. A64, 6002 water block, ehein 1250, and a d-tec rad, with a 38mm panaflo.

It works, but barely. Load temp is 45-48C while running stock, in my basement which is ~55F. I simply let it go since then, but have now decided to build an external box for the rad and pump, so I can get this baby up to my room and start OCing her.

I'm going to order more tubing, but I was wondering if you guys would change the fan, or maybe even add another rad?

Not another but a bigger rad, but if you only have a the A64 in your system then the rad you have should be enough...
Did you reseat the block? I think there might be something fishy there but I'm no way an expert.

SavageBasher said:
About 2 months ago, I finally got my water cooling done. A64, 6002 water block, ehein 1250, and a d-tec rad, with a 38mm panaflo.

It works, but barely. Load temp is 45-48C while running stock, in my basement which is ~55F. I simply let it go since then, but have now decided to build an external box for the rad and pump, so I can get this baby up to my room and start OCing her.

I'm going to order more tubing, but I was wondering if you guys would change the fan, or maybe even add another rad?

something's not right. you should never have a delta temp that big. make sure the block is seated properly. did you apply thermal compound correctly or is the block mounted with enough pressure? also is your rad a 1x120mm?

Yep, took the block off, added a little more AS5, reseated it, same temps as before. I know it has enough pressure, because the clip that hold it begins to bend if I tighten it much more.

And yes, it is a 1*120mm rad. I think that is my problem. When I ordered it, I wanted quiet, so I got the Panaflo L. I can't find the exact specs, but I do believe they aren't too good.

Edit - found the specs. Max. air flow: 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A. Max. air pressure: 3.3 mmH2O.

I have the fan on a fan controller, and even when I turn it to the max voltage, temps don't stray much, maybe 1-2°C max.

well it is possible that your temps are a bit off and with a 1x120mm they will be a little higher anyway so it's not impossible that even with verything setup correctly it could give you those temps. those are perfectly respectable temps but i was sceptical since the ambient is so low. if you were to have it in your room with ambient much higher i would be interested to see the difference. there may be some scratches or slight warping of the 6002. what temps do you get when overclocking or have you not tried that yet?

Some pics.

Block21.jpg

320021.jpg

i used four radiators

I think rads are a cheap way to go. If you are external you can get 120v 120mm fans. I bought ADDA and they were $10 + $10 + $10 shipped, so I got two for $30. I got a inline lamp switch so I only turn the fans to two cores on when seriously loading the system as the two cores I used are a big passive heatsink, or course. I picked up a Danger Den shipped off eBay shipped for $25 never used and a Criticool for $30 ship not included. I merely framed them and stuck them nearby behind the other stuff and tubed it up. I posted the results which are not a thrill but acceptable to me and cool enough. My pump is a bit over 100watts and rated for 5GPM, but it has high head like 15PSI to ovecome all the restrictions. Yes, that kind of pump has power. Like an Iwaki 20 or 30.

:bang head

SavageBasher said:

Just to put this out there, it could be your temp sensors. The in-socket thermistors will, a lot of times, show even a lesser temp on air than water, simply because of how the cooling is affecting the THERMISTOR, as opposed to the CPU itself. Getting a legit sensor or borrowing one of those nifty laser thermometers is probably the only way to know for sure. That setup just shouldn't be reaching that high.

I never rely on my on board sensor, First off, its a winbond, second, simply holding a fan near the CPU socket drops the temp....

I have thermal sensors applied to the undersides of both water blocks right up against the CPU/GPU die. These are still probably reading a dregree or two too low, but are much closer than what the on board temps reports.

Oh, for some reason the onboard temp sensor on my 6800 GT will not go below 40 degrees.

I agree with Jas, its more likely the temp sensors. When i was watercooled my temps would be ruffely around 40°C and would go up to 50°C. After my pump died the temps were lower on air, but that isn't really possible.

Yeah, my temp sensors read around 29-30 for the CPU at Idle, and 28-30 idle for the GPU. Liek I said that is probably still a couple degrees too low, if I was a betting man, I'd say teh CPU is hitting around 32c at Idle, and vid card 30-31c.

And just to somewhat prove that on board sensors are pretty much worthless....

in MBM I hav seen my idle temp go from 37c - to 45c. And not like it ramps up, one secodn its 37, the next its 45.....

Oh, and the video cards on board just sits there at 40. I actually got it to go over 40 one day by sqeezing a tube to restric flow and turning off my fans....

Back