• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passwording Network Folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys, i started a thread about this a while ago, but nobody seemed to find the answer to it...i KNOW its possible cos at the school administrators only give certain access to the folders.

How can i password a folder on this computer, so that over a network it will not allow anybody to view it except myself?

I've seen a few programs...but they cost money. Its gotta be free.

XP home doesnt have the ability to do Advanced Networking (IE: access for individual users). It will only do all or none. The only way you could do it is to hide the Share with the $ at the end of the sharename.

oK I Just did it but when i tried to access it from another computer on my network it said i did not permission to view this folder...

ps2cho said:
oK I Just did it but when i tried to access it from another computer on my network it said i did not permission to view this folder...

Make sure the account you are logged on as has NTFS permissions to access the folder. You need to check the security properties which are shown at the following link:-

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm2.htm

Just make sure your account has 'Allow' ticked next to full control.

how do i go into safe mode on a laptop? Is it the same as a desktop? and what key is it again :p i forget.

images

Last edited:
F8 usually gets you into safe mode.

How are you signed onto the second pc? I doubt its through a domain controller so your first pc (with the share) will not know who you are and therefore not grant access. Even though you supply the same username and password, these are just strings. The real user id would be something like WE-4735-EDISU-2837 or something stupid like that.

A possible solution for you: Take option to Map a network drive, fill in the details and select 'connect using different username'. In this box type in (SERVER_HOSTNAME)\(Username) and give the password for the account on the first pc. So if your first pc name was LORUM and your username was IPSUM the username would be LORUM\IPSOM

Local Administrators have access to all folders regardless of permission, so if another user on the first computer has been given administrative privileges then they will be able to access protected folders.

ok i finally gave it a go and i cant seem to map any other network drive. It wont let me add another computer over my LAN...

any ideas? *i realize that in safe mode the NIC's are disabled*'
I mean, anyway to force it so it will work once the NIC is enabled?

ps2cho,

Back