• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

I need to know different ways that I can take the heatsinks off of my mobo. I need to RMA it and I think that they consider heatsinks modding. I know some people put the board in the freezer or used canned air but are there any other ways?

Yeah the artic silver stuff. What really makes me mad is that I put them on a little over a week ago! :bang head

Are you refering to arctic Silver 5? or one of their artic adheisive products? arctic silver 5 will cause a bond that's breakable by twisiting the HS before trying to remove it. However, sometimes this is not possable, so just try lifting one side at a time (else you will yank the cpu out of the socket which could break pins)

CAUTION!
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.

I don't think there's an easy way to take it off. What heatsink are you talking about here because I don't think you should use adhesive for CPU heatsink.

Yeah sorry bro, you own the motherboard now. That epoxy is very strong, if you attempt to remove those sinks, the chips are coming with it!! Why are you RMA'ing the board?

They said it was the only way to fix the problem. What is the problem? :shrug: They didn't tell me. The symptoms are: the wrong multiplyer is being used and certain video cards can not function with it. I will ask if I can RMA with the sinks still on.

Back