• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low ram in windows xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwertyuiop

I have a laptop with 128/192 mb ram, cant tell yet. is it possible to change the settings in windows xp like turning off graphical things to allow it to run decently?

You can disable a number of visual effects in XP by right clicking My Computer -->Properties | "Advanced" tab | Performance -->"Settings" button | "Visual Effects" tab.

yup right click on my computer, properties, advanced, visual affects, and click on best performance. Also, you can go into run and type services.msc. And go disable all the unneccesary windows services, try to find the black viper thread about windows services. Some of them are dumb, like wireless services is automatically on even when no wireless card is present.

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > "Settings" button the Performance box

That'll allow you to turn off some of the eye candy. You could also right click on the desktop, select "Properties", then do things like select the "Windows Classic" theme, turn off the wallpaper, change the style to windows classic, and turn down the color quality to 16 bit.

In addition, you can turn off unneeded services (Start > Run > type "services.msc"). Be sure to know what you're doing before you turn off certain services.

Edit: Out-ninja'ed, bah

You can also go to "msconfig" and choose to disable startup applications that use up valuable recources.

You'll definitely want to remove the font smoother (anti-aliasing) ... and I'll bet you'll have to bump up your pagefile size.

under services.msc I always turn off themes. I use the battleship gray windows classic theme. I also turn off the fade effects.

Back