• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency system shut down???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerXLT8

Ive invested alot of money\time into this rig, and being that if my pump fails, my CPU will overheat and probably sustain serious damage, if not death; Is there anyway I can enable my rig to shut down if a certain CPU temperature is reached? Is there any programs that will do this, a hardware mod???? I'm using a Eheim 1250 powered by a Criticool Powerplant II. Any inpu8it is appreciated, and I will share my experience for others.

It would depend on the board

I know the 650 have a thermal shutdown already and i wouldent be overly converned if it happened once..

And i know some Bios's have a alarm for certain temp levels but ive never had one that would shut down at a certain temp..

As for software im not sure

Check your bios settings first, but keep in mind that bios is usually off by 10-20 degrees (celsius for me) just go with whatever a prog like motherboard monitor says whilst priming , and then add 10-20 degrees, whatever you're comfortable with. That aside, you can buy more accurate thermocouple based add-ons, that have a built in function for that, but IDK much aboot setting them up, Especially interfacing it so that it will shutdown the puter for you.

The mobo settings will be the easiest, and plenty reliable, should your board support it.

It is worth pointing out too, that even though mobo temps are off, they are predictably off. The amount that they are off by never really fluctuates more than ~1-2 degrees. So you can trust the mobo sensors for certain things, and you may actually have one that is :eek: accurate.

Thanks guys for the input, I'm probably going to buy one of the external monitors PCDoctor or whatever, with the LED screen and the sensors you place yourself.....It's worth 50 bucks to me....

all P4 & A64 motherboards have thermal shutdown settings in the BIOS, so you can set it to automatically shut down if it gets over 50ºC or whatever you set it to - and even if your bios is 20ºC off, the processor will easily withstand 80ºC (thermal spec. for intel desktop processors), and it won't sustain any damage unless it runs at or above that temp for extended periods of time

people worry about their pumps failing too often - many of them are made to run 24-7 in aquarium or hot water circulation systems, both of which are much more demanding than PC water cooling, so unless you're running an extremely cheap & crappy pump, there is no need to worry about your pump failing (i see that you have an eheim 1250 - eheims are probably some of the most reliable pumps that i've ever seen - many people have been running them 24-7 for two or three years in their WC loops without any signs of failure)

I just set the thermal shutdown on my NF7-s to 70c. It does work... I've used it three times when I used to have an AC powered pump. Never fried my processor or anything :)

Just hit whatever key your computer uses, usually del or f1, while your computer first boots up. The BIOS will load. You can find the temp alarm setting and set your MB to shut off at the temp you specify. Like the post above says, for example, if your comp usually runs at like 35c, you can set the cutoff temp at like 55c. Even if the sensor is off, like Sneaky said, your computer will cut off well before any damage is done. Buying an external monitor to do this is unneccessary.

Sneaky said:
all P4 & A64 motherboards have thermal shutdown settings in the BIOS, so you can set it to automatically shut down if it gets over 50ºC or whatever you set it to - and even if your bios is 20ºC off, the processor will easily withstand 80ºC (thermal spec. for intel desktop processors), and it won't sustain any damage unless it runs at or above that temp for extended periods of time

people worry about their pumps failing too often - many of them are made to run 24-7 in aquarium or hot water circulation systems, both of which are much more demanding than PC water cooling, so unless you're running an extremely cheap & crappy pump, there is no need to worry about your pump failing (i see that you have an eheim 1250 - eheims are probably some of the most reliable pumps that i've ever seen - many people have been running them 24-7 for two or three years in their WC loops without any signs of failure)

Thanks for the input guys, makes me feel better, I don't think the external monitor is really neccesary, I'm going to look around my bios. In my bios I have a setting called "CPU Target Temperature", anyone know what this means? My options are like from 51c-70 or something.

yeah, the BIOS can shut the system down if it fails, when i first went to water cooling, i didnt have a fan plugged into the CPU header so my computer started beeping even though it wasnt running hot and shut itself down, so i had to plug a fan into the CPU header until i got into the BIOS to turn the fan warning off, but i left the temp warning/shutdown turned ON.

If you have a P4 Northwood or newer, the CPU's themselves have thermal protection/shutdown built into them. You don't even need to set anything in the bios... when the CPU reaches the shutdown threshold, it will shutdown. It works very well on Intels. See this thread for a guy who's HSF was not even on... the machine kept shutting down and his CPU is fine :D http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=387458

DEFINITELY a last resort! Although if you use a water fire extinguisher, you would really be water-cooling!

Reminds me,

I gotta see if my ftriend still has this pic.

Hopefully I can find it, but in any regards, end of summer last year, I was trying to convince a friend to go water since he was bulding a new machine. So I get a pic, Its a computer sitting in a bathtub full of water.....

Can't believe no one recommended MBM 5, it will do what you want it to if certain temperatures are reached, I set mine to 45oC it will turn on alarm, at 47oC it shuts down the entire computer using a small batch script from google.

Thanks for all of you replys guys, great info.

My CPU is a Intel 650 so I take from what nik said, it will shut itself down when it get's too hot.

Interestingly enough, the Asus P5AD2-E Premium does not have a setting in the bios to shut down incase of CPU overheat. I guess it doesn't have one because the CPU shuts itself down in case of overheat..

BTW, kinda off topic but I'm excited---I'm seeing great temps, load temp of about 38c, its cool here right now and my case temp is 26c(it's been as high as 34c). Room temps is about 23c. When winter comes around again my rig is going to be running cooooooooll

Back