• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken Computer!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WannaBNerd

I built my rig like 6 months ago and the first like 2 months it worked totally fine. then 1 day my windows would not load so i reformatted my HDD. then reinstalling windows (XP PRO) and after redoing the drivers...every time i would load a CD, such as WoW that i was trying to reinstall, i would get a blue screen error...what happened? is it like sumthing i have to reset? or is it like a computer part malfunction..may b i broke sumthing in my comp..im not sure...can sum1 please help me with my problem i really need my comp working again..

first disconnect everything you don't absolutely need to start the system up. then if you can successfully run a stress test like prime95, we can work from there.

Two things come to mind.

1) The generic PS is not giving the system good clean power.
2) You may have bad RAM. Run a program like memtest86 to test it.

I'd bet that your problem lies in either of those places. I'd also look at the capasitors on the MB to see if any are blown. Look for buldging tops and/or brown goo on the top or bottom the the capasitors. The tops should be perfectly flat.

1) my ram works bcuz after this happened i used it in a another comp and it worked fine 2) i nvr o/c'd been running stock.......= /

Does the problem only happen when you use the CD-ROM?

Try it in a different PC and see what happens.
OR

If it is sharing the power run with the HDD try moving it to another run and see if it works then.

Personally I would break out the multimeter and check those voltages on the rails. especially the 12Volt rail.

Since I see you have a generic PSU listed in your sig I would definately start there.

It sounds like when both are spun up and running full tilt that added load is pushing the PSU over the edge.

ya before my comp broke down..i had 2 programs so tell me like temps and fan speeds and stf...and both said that my MOBO was only getting like 11.25 - .45 volts...could my mobo be shot from undervolting it??

Undervolting probably wouldn't damage it. However, if your PSU was undervolting because it was overstressed, it could have damaged your board (although this usually happens when the PSU dies).

This sounds like a bad PSU because it was crashing when the CDROM was using more power. and your 12v was very low. Try removing everything but the CPU, Vid, Mem, HD and set everything to stock and see how your voltage is. If you 12 is low and 5v high then its still overloaded and you need to replace it, if you system is stable after doing this then its up to you whether you want to replace the psu and install eveyrthing else or just run it with the minimum number of things attached.

infinitevalence said:
This sounds like a bad PSU because it was crashing when the CDROM was using more power. and your 12v was very low. Try removing everything but the CPU, Vid, Mem, HD and set everything to stock and see how your voltage is. If you 12 is low and 5v high then its still overloaded and you need to replace it, if you system is stable after doing this then its up to you whether you want to replace the psu and install eveyrthing else or just run it with the minimum number of things attached.
He's right. The PSU is the heart of your system. If voltages are off much, it can cause the system to act quirky. The fact that your 12V is running near 11 volts is a strong symptom that the PSU is on the edge.

Back