• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Physical address extension

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmokinR6

Wierd ?. Can anybody tell me why when I view My system hardware profile....Meaning where it shows operating system, computer name, ram, and chip speed.....my processor is listed as physical address extension? anybody know what caused this...It used to list as Athlon 64 3400 speed 2.650.
I am running windows XP pro

Not sure why its next to the cpu. I normally use Physical Address Extension when building servers with more than 4gig of ram. You add the /pae switch to the boot.ini and then windows recognises the correct amount of ram. Normally though its next to the ram rather than the cpu.

AFAIK PAE is required for systems that can handle > 2GB of RAM, and that have the "No Execute" processor feature. Both apply to AMD64 systems, so it's perfectly fine that the processor is listed as Physical Address Extension under System Properties.

In addition to what russ_da_bus mentioned afa PAE usage...if you're interested, you can read up more on PAE in the following MSKB article:

A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical Address Extension switch
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291988

Last edited:
Back