• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to setup a computer building/repair desk or rack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I am going to be doing comptuer tech support out of my home where people drop their computers off to me or I go pick them up, and then in a room downstairs in my house, I will plug them into a monitor, keyboard and mouse and then work on the computer. I am wondering though, what would be a good rack or desk type of system to use to put the computers on and make it easy to take the computers apart, change wires, etc, etc.?

Thanks

I built mine from 2x4s, attached to the inside garage wall at the height of my belt buckle.
The top is 3/4" chipboard (full 4' x 8' sheet) with a 1/4" piece of hardboard (dark brown sheet used for subfloor, aka melanine like on clipboards) covering it.
The 2x4 frame under the tabletop is built just like the wall framing on 16" centers. The backsplash (apron) around the back and one side is 1x4" pine.
All built with screws, no nails allowed.

A nice smooth surface, that melanine, I have no snags laying out my fiberglass cloth. It's replaceable if I mess it up too much. It's just held down onto the chipboard with a dab of silicone in each corner.

I'll soon have two double hospital grade pluggins behind the tabletop on the wall, and two on the front lower edge. Can't have enough pluggins ;)
It's also sturdy enough that I walk on it to sweep it off between projects.

Back