• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows freezes on startup (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

Hey im having a problem and i cant figure out what to do. When i start windows i can get onto the logon screen no problem, but when i sign on to an account, it freezes as soon as the desktop shows up. all 3 accounts do this. i tried starting it in safe mode and that works fine. i disable all start up programs, but it still locks up when i run windows normaly. anyone have any suggestions other then reformat?

theres nothing i love more then noobs who feel like they need to be the police of the message board. I put it into the general section because i didnt know exactly where to put it (as i realy dont know what the main problem is). I know you think your contributing by posting crap like "oh wrong section blah blah", but an answer or suggestion would have been 1000X more productive. anyone have any ideas?

also if you are OC'd either try giving your CPU some more voltage or backing off the OC a bit, I have seen that happen if you push too far with not enough juice. Also if you could try to look for a specific piece of faulty hardware such as RAM or PSU, try different ones if you have others that you could test with.

Im pretty sure at this point that i screwed up the ocntact between the heatsink and the cpu since im running temperatures close to 60C. I underclocked down to a 111FSB. that seems to let me be able to log on. Ive got a bit of another problem though. i cant adjust my voltage, but asus probe is showing my 12V is at 13.12V. is this a serious problem and is there anyway to correct it?

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
theres nothing i love more then noobs who feel like they need to be the police of the message board. I put it into the general section because i didnt know exactly where to put it (as i realy dont know what the main problem is). I know you think your contributing by posting crap like "oh wrong section blah blah", but an answer or suggestion would have been 1000X more productive. anyone have any ideas?

Theres nothing I love more then people who call people n00bs when asking a simple question. You could of simply said you put it in the general section because you were not sure what the cause of the problem is. Instead you had to be a jerk about it by calling me a n00b and I definitely don't want to help someone with that attitude.

The bottom line is there was no reason to call me a n00b when I did nothing of the sort to you.

BrutalDrew said:
Theres nothing I love more then people who call people n00bs when asking a simple question. You could of simply said you put it in the general section because you were not sure what the cause of the problem is. Instead you had to be a jerk about it by calling me a n00b and I definitely don't want to help someone with that attitude.

The bottom line is there was no reason to call me a n00b when I did nothing of the sort to you.

1) there is no need for posts like the one you posted above^^^ 2) You're not a moderater. If a thread needs moved, a moderator will be around to do it. So their is no need to say what you said in post #2. Their is no reason to make people feel like an idiot like i do sometimes when i post in a wrong spot. Before you know it, the mods will be around to move the thread IF it needs to be moved....and they also do it politely.

Boot into Safe Mode and follow the steps in this guide which was written by IMOG

Thats what i would try. Good luck fixing it! :)

yea, i didnt mean to be so agressive in my response, but when people add nothing to a topic other then "wrong forum" because there pretending to be a mod, i get a little aggitated.

Ok i think i figured it out. im going to go buy a new heatsink and some artic silver today, im pretty sure that will get rid of the problem (and hopefully give me some temp room to raise the FSB ^^ ) ty for help.

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
Ok i think i figured it out. im going to go buy a new heatsink and some artic silver today, im pretty sure that will get rid of the problem (and hopefully give me some temp room to raise the FSB ^^ ) ty for help.

You may have a temperature problem, but that would be a secondary issue to the problem you are experiencing judging by the symptoms which you have detailed. It sounds like your windows install is semi-borked by some registry/startup items most likely, and you should try to logon to the machine through safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly at boot time then selecting "Safe Mode". If this works, you are definetly not having a heat issue. Anyways, heat issues are not so consistent as to always cause a problem right at logon - your problem would appear more random. If you still aren't sure, burn a live CD like knoppix and pop it in the CD drive and boot from it. If you are having a heat issue, it will not run properly either, if you are having a windows problem, knoppix will run fine.

I would try this before laying out any money, so then you can decide if you really want to spend some dough to get a little more overclock.

Back