• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

error in prime95.. can't trace the source of error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

After a fresh XP install i ran Prime95 and got an error in just 3 hours.

[Fri May 20 03:31:55 2005]
Self-test 20K passed!
[Fri May 20 03:50:53 2005]
Self-test 448K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

i was alarmed.. trying to pin down the hardware that's causing prime to fail, i removed 1 of my 2 512MB sticks (dual channelled)..

the first stick i tried passed after overnight of testing.. then i tested the other one... again, it passed about 8 hours of prime.. proving both RAM sticks are stable...

So i put both sticks in again and ran prime last night.. 1 hour and 50 minutes after, i get the error:

Self-test 10K passed!
[Tue May 24 01:53:54 2005]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I dont get it...

I'm pretty sure it's not a mismatched RAM.. because i have two 512MB GEIL Value Ram sticks running at 2.0-3-3-5 (Default by SPD)

what do you guys think is the problem here? Could it be something else? like my processor or something? (i doubt it though).. or could it be the 3rd RAM bank being faulty.. again im doubtful.

Any ideas?

tea

I'd try setting every little thing back to stock. Even if the SPD said those timings, i've seen ram that didn't give the correct clocks as per the package by SPD, so try editing them manually.

Guess what guys? I kick up the OC to 3.0Ghz (133mhz to 167mhz) and loosen the timings from 2.0-3-3-5 to 2.5-3-3-6 and ran Prime95.. left the house.. got back 7 hours later.. and it's still running with no erors!

hmm.. what do you make of that?

tea

Sounds like changing the timings fixed the problems. the CAS from 2 to 2.5 makes a big difference with some RAM

i see.. but does 2.0 to 2.5 make a big difference performance wise?

Tea_J said:
After a fresh XP install i ran Prime95 and got an error in just 3 hours.

i was alarmed.. trying to pin down the hardware that's causing prime to fail, i removed 1 of my 2 512MB sticks (dual channelled)..

the first stick i tried passed after overnight of testing.. then i tested the other one... again, it passed about 8 hours of prime.. proving both RAM sticks are stable...

So i put both sticks in again and ran prime last night.. 1 hour and 50 minutes after, i get the error:

I dont get it...

I'm pretty sure it's not a mismatched RAM.. because i have two 512MB GEIL Value Ram sticks running at 2.0-3-3-5 (Default by SPD)

what do you guys think is the problem here? Could it be something else? like my processor or something? (i doubt it though).. or could it be the 3rd RAM bank being faulty.. again im doubtful.

Any ideas?

tea

That's usually a classic sign of your processor core being unstable and not the RAM. That's just like what I used to get when not majorly far away from the OC wall. In that case, it's still possible for more cooling to solve the problem. What was the load temperature of your processor chip?

Also, you may require a power supply with more watts when OC'ing with two or more RAM modules.

Back